Chapter 45 : Fight

It was the moment of sport, and Will was really uncomfortable, as usual, in the changing room. A group of boys kept looking at him with mocking smile.

- "Hey Queer," one of them called, "why you don't change with the dyke? At least nothing could happen between you, but here...we don't want to see you having a boner!"

The entire room laughed while Will was trying to change as fast as possible to join his friends outside.

- "Can you leave him alone!?" Troy angrily snapped.

- "Dude! (approaches to him) You have a crush on Willy Queer now?" the guy mocked. "Or it's your stupid crush on Jane which talks for you!?"

- "Jane is my friend, and Will...is a nice guy," Troy stated, gritting his teeth and closing his fists.

The two boys stared at each other, nostrils dilated, torsos forward, fists closed. It was at the first one who cracked. And it was the other boy, Derek, who pushed Troy. Troy answered with a more brutal push and they continued like that until they began to punch each other. The boys around were encouraging them to fight to entertain them while Will was just hoping to not receive a punch in his face by accident. The two boys were in the middle of the room, punching with hate the other one, not caring of their own wounds. The sound of the brawl alerted the teacher who grabbed the two boys by their tee-shirts and forced them to stop. Will joined Max and Jane on the field while the teacher was yelling at Troy and Derek, surrounded by the other students.

- "What happened?" Max frowned.

- "Troy had a fight with Derek," Will explained still not believing it.

- "What? But why?" Jane asked, surprised.

- "Because...Derek was...mocking me and Troy intervened."

Max frowned more. Why Troy was defending him whereas he spent those last years humiliating him? And why now? What happened to him? Did he have something in his mind? Like a plan to humiliate them more? She turned to her girlfriend who had a proud smile on her face. Maybe he was changing, and Jane was at the origin of it.

- "You have a good influence on him," Max stated with difficulties.

- "I don't think, he realised himself he wasn't the boy he was showing," Jane said. "You don't think people can change?"

- "Of course I do, but I won't trust him because he fought for Will once."

- "Give him a chance."

- "I'll try," the redhead sighed.

Jane knew it was hard for Max to accept that Troy, their bully, was changing, and she didn't want to force her to like him. She gave a small smile to calm her upset. Max tried to resist, but Jane's smile had the talent to make her melt and smile. She shook her head and playfully rolled her eyes which made chuckle Jane.

- "What?" Jane asked with a big smile.

- "Don't think you can get everything you want with your beautiful smile," Max said with a low voice and a fake threatening tone.

Jane smiled more in her direction to provoke her. Max smiled too and tried to hide the other girl's smile by placing her hand on it, but Jane was trying to escape.

- "Can you stop?" the redhead giggled.

Jane effectively stopped, but not because Max asked, because the other teens of the class were joining them, and she didn't want them to see them interacting like that. Max pouted when she saw Jane's anxious face reappearing. She wanted to reassure her, to tell her that no one would care but even her wasn't believing it.

- "Do you think he will have problems?" Will asked.

- "I don't know, he is the captain of the Football team so maybe not," Jane answered.

- "Yeah..."

- "You asked that because you want him to have problems or you are worried he could have problems ?" Max frowned.

- "I...I don't know...Maybe I don't want him to have problems..."

- "Really!?"

- "He defended me, and he apologized."

- "He still treated you like a shit!"

- "I know! I just...I like thinking that people can change, I'm not telling he will become my best friend, but...why not turning the page and putting this in the past?"

- "You are more lenient than me!"

- "Yeah...Maybe I'm too lenient."

- "You don't have an opinion on this?" Max asked to Jane.

- "Um...no, I mean, I don't know what happened between him and all of you, I'm just happy he is changing," Jane said.

- "He is the one who gave us those nicknames, even if mine is not painful, theirs are awful, I mean, you heard Bev's one! You can't ignore that!"

- "I'm not ignoring that! Bev's story is awful and using it to humiliate her and reminding her this part of her life is pathetic and miserable!" the brunette got angry.

Both Max and Will got surprised by this sudden anger. Even Jane was surprised, she didn't know why she was taking it like that, she had always been against bullies, but she always thought some of them were just trying to not be the bullied, and Troy was one of them.

- "I'm sorry," Jane apologized breathing heavily. "I, I don't know why I reacted like that...I didn't want..."

- "It's okay Jane, we all have our limits and apparently me hating Troy is your limit," Max joked to relax her.

- "And Bev's story is...I mean, everyone should be mad about this, it's an understable anger," Will added.

- "Yeah, maybe..." Jane said calmer than before. "It came so fast, like a peak !"

- "Maybe you should talk about this with someone," Max told. "It's an hard story, it touches everyone in different ways, and you, it gets you angry."

Jane nodded. Maybe they were right, she needed to talk about it with someone, her sister, she would understand why she was this angry about this. The teacher called everyone and Jane walked to listen to him, Will and Max behind.

- "I think she had been abused," Will said.

- "Me too," Max answered.