chapter four !

Mary quietly laid on the hotel room bed, her stomach to the ceiling. Thoughts had run through her mind all night and she hardly got any sleep as a result of her constantly racing brain. Jimmy held her hand in his deep slumber, his leg crossed over her torso and he softly breathed on her neck in a repetitive rhythm.

She wondered if she should bring up that conversation again, as Robert had previously advised her to. Her gut felt against it, but her gut feeling didn't know Jimmy like Robert knew Jimmy. She huffed, hoping that the large sum of air escaping her body would give her some sort of resolution, instead waking Jimmy unintentionally. "Shit." She mumbled under her breath.

"What?" Jimmy asked in a groggy voice, his hair grazing her ticklish neck as he laid his head on her chest, his fingers still wrapped around Mary's palm.

"Nothing." Mary sighed softly and kissed the top of Jimmy's head, not wanting to worry the tired rock star.

"What time did you wake?" He asked, his thumb running gently over the back of her hand.

"I never fell asleep."

"Why not?" Jimmy rolled over and propped his head on his elbows.

"Well, uhm, you see-" Mary faltered.

"Don't dodge the question. Why didn't you fall asleep?"

"I've been meaning to ask you something, and it's been bothering me for a few days."

"What is it?"

"I was, uh, talking to Robert and he said that you wanted a, uh, a family..." Mary trailed off, wincing slightly at what Jimmy's reaction might be.

"What?"

"I said, Robert told me you wanted a-"

"I heard what you said," Jimmy said, lifting his head off of his hands, "Why did he say I wanted a family?"

"He said you were jealous of him, jealous of the other guys because they have families. He says you're lonely."

"Lonely? Fucking hell, I'm not lonely. I'm not jealous of them, I have what I want. Why would you listen to him?" Jimmy's tone grew increasingly more belligerent in a matter of seconds, his thin fingers balling into fists.

"Jimmy, please don't yell. I was just wondering."

"I'm not yelling." Jimmy sighed and closed his eyes. "I'm not lonely." He said behind clenched teeth.

"I've never heard anything about you ever having a real girlf-"

"Is that your business? Should you care what I do? Why do you need to be listening to Robert, when you're with me? You're not Robert's girlfriend."

"I don't even know if I'm your girlfriend, Jimmy. I'm just nervous around you sometimes, and Robert was willing to talk to me. Now, if you could just answer my ques-"

"I need a fuckin' drink." Jimmy cut her off, springing from the bed angrily and heading for the mini fridge that sat in the corner of the room, holding all of his Jack.

"Jimmy, please don't drink. It's 6 o'clock in the morning."

"Maybe you need a drink too." He retorted and tipped the bottle to the ceiling. "It's too early for this shit, go to sleep."

"What's your problem?"

"My problem," Jimmy spun around, his mood changing from angry to enraged at the snap of a finger, "is that you can't just ask me yourself! You have to go out of your way and ask him instead of just asking me!"