chapter eleven !

*Slight smut warning*

__________

Mary and Jimmy both enjoyed spending several months of solidarity with their new daughter. Something about being isolated from everyone and everything was so calming, so lulling. Daily, Jimmy would take Lenna out to play in the grass and touch the garnet roses. He was cautious with his young daughter, plucking her fingers away from the evil thorns that seemed to allure the girl the most. Her pure, soft fingers couldn't dare be pricked, so long as Jimmy was around. This time, he thought, he wouldn't mess up.

Mary decided that just this once she'd join the two, but quietly and further behind as not to disturb any memories from being created. Jimmy, however, seemed to have picked up a certain knowledge of whenever Mary was close by, he could feel it. With his baby perched on his hip, he turned to Mary and handed her over. Mary frowned; Jimmy had allowed Lenna to accumulate dirt and grass stains on her new white dress. Jimmy smirked, hoping to get by without a scolding. Getting off the hook without a word this time, Mary handed Jimmy a black coffee and turned to the house. "Thank you, princess!" He shouted before following her inside minutes later.

He walked in the house to Mary in front of a sink, ferociously scrubbing away at the stain on Lenna's dress as the 5 month old took to crawling quickly around the house wearing only a diaper. "Give her to me," Mary demanded, feeling hopeless as she threw the sopping dress to the side, "You've got her all dirty, she needs a bath now."

Jimmy picked his daughter up and placed her in the newly drawn warm water with a foolish smile. The baby splashed in the bubbles as Mary poured a cup of water over her tiny brown curls. Jimmy leaned over the counter. "How would you like some company tonight?"

Honestly, company sounded great to Mary. She'd been locked up in a house with Jimmy and a new baby for five months. Too many things had to be done by the time visitors would come over, it just couldn't be done in that sliver of time. "Maybe. If we didn't have so much to do."

"Oh, come on. There's nothing to do. Let's invite some friends over, make it a fun night."

"We have to clean up after Lenna, Jimmy, and clean the house. Tomorrow."

"Too late, princess. They're coming over at seven."

"Who, Jimmy? Really? What if I wasn't in the mood? What if I were sick? What if Lenna were sick?"

"Just the band, nothing big. Though I could throw a big party if that's what you desire, my love?"

Mary didn't take her eyes off the baby, but shook her head vigorously in detest to his joking idea. Jimmy walked away, picking up jingling toys from the ground. "Don't worry about it. I got it, darling."

Mary sighed and pulled Lenna out of the water, wrapping her in a light pink towel and holding her close to her body. She took her to her room to pick out a different outfit for the day. Lenna gleamed, grabbing for her clothes that Mary dangled over her with chubby fingers. She finished dressing her daughter and laid her down for a nap. The room was lit with nothing but the summer-y midday light seeping in through the pink curtains. A dreamy kind of light that only sticks around for an hour each day.

Mary closed the door to the nursery and walked down the hallway. Jimmy had his record player on, playing some band she couldn't recognize. The floor was cleared of all of Lenna's toys and bottles, and he was in the kitchen brandishing a perfectly white dress. He smiled widely, impressed with himself that he got the stains out of the dress and not Mary. Mary rolled her eyes, a smile peeking from behind her pursed lips.