21 | cloud nine

It was the morning of their school festival; their very last festival of their year.

And Yuna was late.

"Shit!" She jolted out of bed, frantically running around her room looking for something decent to wear for the occasion, despite the minor morning headache after being awake until the nighthawk appeared, still in a daze whilst also controlling part of it.

She took a quick shower and changed, though each second felt like passing an hour whenever she hears the constant vibrations coming from her bedside table, her phone obviously filled with frustrated and anxious missed calls and texts—back then, Yuna never cared, but this. This was something else.

Yuna has a gig to catch. An important one. She wouldn't be like this if it weren't for someone.

Taking one last quick glance around the room, she finally left her room while picking up her board, left the house and skated as fast as she could to school.

__________

By the time she reached the gymnasium, the screaming crowd had already filled the room, and Yuna lets out a deep sigh of relief when she made it in time from missing the starting segment of the show.

She went inside, carefully making her way through the back, trying to get used to the euphoric screams bursting her eardrums. This wasn't the first time she went to a gig, but it really has been a while since she went to one. People were pushing and bumping into each other, but she could only endure that until she finally made it to the back of the crowd, though the view was shit—since there were a few tall silhouettes blocking her view of the starting show.

Then, a guitar riff blatantly resonates in the room, sending shivers to a stoked Yuna.

"Thank you for coming everybody!" Jirou shouted into the microphone, chuckling a little when the crowd roared. "As you may or may not know, this is our last show of our year and we're all going to be graduating in a few months."

Yuna felt a little tug on her heartstrings while she smiled wistfully. She couldn't help but feel sentimental a little at that statement, even though the past years of high school wasn't really memorable for someone like her.

Except for the last few months.

The crowd boos, though not seriously, and Jirou laughed lightly at them—she was ruining the mood.

"And as sad as it may sound," she turns to her bandmates, ready to play their hearts out with an excited grin. "Let's make this show the best one in Yuei High, the best fucking show that even the next generation could never replace us."

With that, the crowd screamed wildly again, and Yuna chuckled at that, almost tearing up—she was starting to regret not meeting the people she called friends now. And him.

She wasted so many years on trying to live and fulfil herself with something she didn't get to grasp—but when the world got too cruel, she took a step back.

She tried until a state of exhaustion inspired by an act of senseless violence stitched her, which forces her to revise her image of what can happen in this world—mending the fences of her expectations, weeding out invasive truths, cultivating the perennial good that's buried under the surface—before propping herself up in the middle of it like an old scarecrow, who's bursting at the seams but powerless to do anything but stand there and watch.

As much as she hates admitting it, she was going to leave this stupid, damn heroic school that wasn't meant for her—leaving with regrets.

And now, she was going to savour every moment of this, supporting her newfound friends and someone more than that.