twelve

[ Trigger Warning: mentions of rape/child abuse ]

The next few days were so slow for Eddie Kaspbrak- antagonizingly slow. And yet, the crucial pounds in his body weren't.

It made Sonia cry, wail, and beg for her husband to stop. To please stop, you're hurting him!

But he just didn't seem to care. So after those sessions, Sonia would take a cup of water and medicine up to Eddie's room for him- God knew her son was already in a lot of dispair as it is. She'd found him sometimes in the closet, or underneath his bed. But nothing he did- nowhere he went- was an escape.

He couldn't tell anyone about it either. Child protective services were not even in the picture because Frank knew his ways to manipulate. He was in so much pain, so much suffering. Eddie even contemplated killing his father, poisoning his drink with rat poison; he just couldn't do it. Eddie spent more time in his room staring at the ceiling or aching for a cigarette than actually eating now.

He couldn't wait for school to start.

"I, uh, came to pick up Eddie. We're just gonna hang at my house for a bit." Richie said anxiously to Frank Kaspbrak, watching the man he knew hurt Eddie look him up and down. It was past five on Tuesday- the day Richie said he'd take Eddie out.
Frank shut the door in Richie's face, but he could hear him yelling for Eddie's ''faggot ass to go with his fuck buddy".

Eddie had already been dressed; a grey beanie on top of his head, his new jacket he got from Beverly, and underneath the same black Nirvana shirt he's been wearing for the past four days. He slipped on some jeans that didn't look like he walked out of a cult meeting- he was sick of the whole goth thing. After putting his shaky feet in his worn down Converse, Eddie grabbed whatever money he had and walked down the stairs.

Sonia stopped him to pat his shoulder and give him a small smile, which Eddie reciprocated. It was their language for everything will be okay, you're doing great, etc.

Frank slammed his fist against the door. "Get out, faggot." He hissed at Eddie, who cowered his head in shame and walked towards the front door, knowing Richie was on the other side. Eddie went to open the door, but Frank grabbed his wrist tightly.

"Dad-"

"If I find out you're being a whore with those boys again, you're getting it." Eddie knew what he was talking about, and thus he nodded vigorously. "And get me more booze while you're at it." He put his hand over Eddie's head, jerking it to the side harshly.

"Okay, I-I will." Eddie's voice was shaky. He really wanted to just leave.

Frank let go of his wrist, stepping away and towards the kitchen where he'd been tormenting Sonia.

Eddie opened the door finally, immediately locking eyes with Richie- who stood there, nearly frozen.

"Hey."

"Hey," Eddie replied to him. He looked back at his mother before stepping out of his damned devil house and closing the door. "You were a bit late."

"Sorry about that," Richie apologized. He and Eddie began to walk down the driveway and to the sidewalk. "My mom needed me to sweep the kitchen for an extra five."

"Oh, its fine."

"Uh, you look good. I mean- like, you look good all the time. I'm just saying, you look well? Sorry. This is weird now. It's just- you're not wearing all black." Richie observed Eddie as they walked; he was intrigued by his friends pale cheeks and caramel sunken eyes, but he was still beautiful. Eddie was staring at the concrete beneath their feet as they walked, careless to watch where he was going. Tufts of Eddie's hair poked out from under his beanie, and his nose freckles were prominent above his pallid face.