Eleven

Chapter Eleven:

"Are you crazy?" Hazel questioned Peter as they walked back to their hotel, "You want me to sit this one out?"

"Yeah... besides, Fury said—"

"I don't care what Fury said." She snapped, "This is an enormous threat and you need all the help you can get!"

Peter sighed, "We're not going to lose! Mysterio—"

They had approached their hotel now, and she could see glimpses of classmates mulling around the lobby. Hazel took a long look at Peter, "Mysterio, is just a man. And Spider-Man is just a teenager. You're not invincible, Peter. You both need all the help you can get. I want to help—"

"Yo! Barnes!"

They both turned to see MJ marching down the steps, "We've been looking for both of you. Get dressed."

"Dressed for what?"

"Harrington's taking us to the Opera. We need to look... better than you're dressed now." MJ scowled at both of them before grabbing ahold of her hand and dragging her up the steps. Their friend turned and glared at Peter, "You've been hogging her all day. Get lost, Parker."

He said nothing, neither did she until MJ pushed her into her room, "I didn't pack anything fancy." Hazel muttered.

"I did."

Hazel raised a brow at her friend, "You?"

She received a glare, and then fabric flew at her face. Hazel looked at it, "A dress?"

"If I've got to wear one, we're both suffering."

MJ pulled another dress from her bag, winking at Hazel as she looked at them both. She held a white maxi dress with little sunflowers scattered about it while MJ held the same but the fabric was black.

"Matching."

"I didn't know you liked matching with people."

"I don't. I just packed two dresses."

Hazel snorted, walking towards the bathroom. She peeled her pants and shirt off and slipped into the sundress, not looking into the mirror and walked out with her other clothes gripped in her hands. She looked around the room, "Where's my bags?"

"I'm assuming in Peter and Ned's room."

"Oh, yah." She mumbled, "I'm gonna go—"

"No! Sit down. You can keep them in here, get them later."

"But—"

"Sit. Down." MJ glared, smiling when Hazel obeyed. "I'm doing your hair."

"Why?"

Her friend sat behind her on the bed, grabbing ahold of her hair. She parted it in the middle, braiding small pieces on either side. She felt bobby pins slide in at the back and then MJ jumped off the bed. Hazel went to follow but her friend sent her another glare, "I'm not done."

MJ rushed into the bathroom, and out gripping a curling wand in one hand and the cord in the other. She grinned plugging it into the wall and re took her seat once again, brushing Hazel's hair with her fingers.

"You surprise me, Michelle."

"MJ." She corrected.

"You look like a Michelle." Hazel joked, a playful smile on her face. "But you act like an MJ."

She didn't reply, and they sat in silence until MJ declared she was done and disappeared into the bathroom to change into her own dress. As she emerged, someone began knocking on the door, demanding they go downstairs to wait with the rest of their class. MJ laughed, linking her arm through Hazel's and pulled her from the room. As they entered the hallway, Hazel's eyes widened.

"Can I just grab something from my bag?"

"No, we're already late."

Hazel stuttered, she needed to get her suit in case Peter needed help. "I'll be quick—"

But MJ had already dragged Hazel down flights of stairs and into the lobby. Mr Harrington was herding people out the front doors, and Hazel stumbled onto the back of Ned's shoes.

"Oh, hey, Hazel!" Ned gave her a smile before falling into conversation with Betty.

She saw Peter making his way through the crowed, he was mumbling something as he fell into step beside her.

"Still don't want any help?"

"No." He shook his head, fidgeting with the collar of his white dress shirt. "Have fun with MJ."

"Where will you be?" MJ looked at him.

His eyes widened, "Uh— I-I'll be with you guys but not sitting with you. Ya know? I think you two should have a girls night or something."

"A girls night would not be going to the opera." MJ retorted, "Dumbass."

Hazel snorted, and Peter gave her a wave and a reassuring nod before disappearing ahead of them. They followed the crowd, walking down cobblestone streets, watching as tourists cheered around them, moving to the music that blared on the streets.

"I can't believe we're going to the opera." Betty complained in front of them, "He literally said it's the biggest night of the year here and he's dragging us to hours of nothing."

"It's gonna be great." Ned assured her, not sounding to sure himself. He glanced back at Hazel, "It's all under control."

By the time they had made it to the opera, the building was almost empty. They were all either to early, or nobody else was coming. MJ never let go of her hand until they were inside the theatre, and Peter had bumped into them on their way out.

"You sure you don't want to sit with us?" MJ asked him.

"Um." He mumbled looking between them, "I do. I-I do but I've got to go to the, um, bathroom."

"We'll save you a seat." Hazel winked before leading MJ down the isle. They found their seats in front of Ned and Betty. The theatre was quiet, and they seemed to be the only ones sitting down. MJ turned in her seat, and Hazel followed her gaze at Peter who turned right after the doorway towards the exit.

"He's leaving." MJ whispered, leaning towards Hazel.

"I'm sure he's just lost."

She turned around again, and then huffed before standing up. MJ rushed up the isle and out into the lobby, disappearing towards the exit. Hazel jumped up, chasing after her friend. She ran up and out of the building, seeing MJ's figure run down the street and make a sharp turn towards the city centre.

"Damn it." Hazel muttered, just as the doors opened behind her and Betty and Ned came flying out.

"Ned!" Hazel yelped, "What are you doing?"

Betty glanced at her, "Going to enjoy the Carnival."

Hazel frowned, taking a deep breath. "I'm coming with you."

"You don't have too." Betty smiled, "It's kinda like a date."

Hazel glared at her and turned to Ned who just looked nervous, "Ned, if you want to make sure nothing happens I think I should come with you."

"What does that mean?" Betty questioned.

She only continued looking at Ned, giving him another look. "Please, Ned."

He only nodded, "We haven't hung out in awhile. It would be fun."

Hazel smiled, leading the way to the city centre. Because if Ned and Betty were going to break the rules, Hazel would too, only to keep them safe.

Plus, did Peter really believe she wouldn't try to help?