Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen:

It was quiet, and everything in Hazel's body protested as something poked at her shoulder. She kept her eyes closed, swearing she was having trouble opening them.

"Hazel."

She groaned, her eyes finally opening. Her head was on someone's shoulder, and she jumped away, remembering just about everything.

"Hi."

She leaned past Peter, who looked like he had just woken up as well, only to see two men sitting beside them, paint covering their faces.

"W-where are we?" Peter mumbled, staring at the two men.

"A municipal holding facility." One of them said, and the other nodded with a smile. "They said they found you two in one of the trains in a train yard. Very dangerous."

"We gave you the shirt because you seemed cold."  

Hazel yelped, scooting closer to Peter as another man on her side finished speaking. He looked at her, "We got one of the policemen to give you one too. You're shirt was all ripped and you could see—"

"Yah, yah." Peter cut him off, "T-thanks."

"You... you all speak very good English." Hazel's voice was raspy, and she tried to hold back a cough.

"Welcome to the Netherlands."

They looked at each other, eyes wide. Peter blinked slowly, leaning on her. "We're in the Netherlands?"

"Yup."

Peter was up in an instant, throwing himself at the cell doors. The bright orange shirt fell to the ground, leaving him in his black under suit clothes. "Guard!"

"The guard is on his break. Probably talking to his wife!" One of the men spoke.

Peter huffed and put his hand threw the bars and grabbed ahold of the lock, he yanked it down and it broke, clanging to the ground.

"Holy shit." She mumbled watching as he opened the gate, she tried getting to her feet but stumbled forward. Peter caught her, asking if she was all right. Hazel nodded, "I'm fine." She whispered.

She rightened herself, but Peter held onto her as they limped towards the exit.

Wherever they were in the Netherlands, it was cozy. They exited out onto what looked like a market, and he let go of her for a minute just to pull the orange shirt over his head. "Your cheek is cut up." Hazel told him.

He looked down at her, grabbing ahold of her again. "Your forehead is bleeding, your one eye is swollen and the other is bruised, your lip is busted and—"

"Yah, you don't need to go on. I look like shit."

"There's a welt on your throat and you can hardly talk."

"You look like shit too, you know."

He rolled his eyes, pulling her along quicker. She watched as he stepped in some sort of poop, and then she laid eyes on the goat. Peter cursed under his breath, waving down a man at a stall. "Excuse me, sir!"

They stopped in front of it, and the man smiled at them both. "Can I borrow your phone?"

The man's brows furrowed but he handed Peter a phone, and Peter grabbed it before dialling a number awfully quickly.

"H-hey— Hey! Hey, I-I messed up. I need a ride..... where am I?"

Peter looked to the man, and he responded but Hazel had no idea what the hell he was saying. Neither did Peter, as he pressed the phone against the man's ear and let him speak into it. The man repeated his answer, and Peter took the phone back.

"Did you get that?"

He smiled, hanging up and handed the phone back to the man. Hazel looked around, frowning at a figure that lurked within the shadows across from them. The shadow seemed to meet her gaze, then spoke into something in his hands.

"Peter." Hazel mumbled, "I—"

"What?"

The man disappeared and Hazel grabbed ahold of Peter, "We've got to go. Now."

"What? Why?"

Hazel didn't want to say it, but when she glanced behind them, spotting another man hidden in the shadows as he spoke into something as well, she glimpsed a circle of red, an awfully familiar design etched onto their uniforms.

Peter must've seen them too, because he held onto her again and began running. They ran through the market, dodging locals and animals as they ran as fast as they could.

Of course, it didn't help that both of them were limping and could hardly run. But they kept a good pace, and when Peter's arm wrapped around her shoulders did she catch a glimpse of the bandages covering it.

"How did they find you?" Peter huffed, dragging her along.

"The news. Must of tracked me." Hazel whispered, "I don't know."

She winced as Peter's hand jabbed her shoulder again, and her vision blurred for a moment before she stumbled up a patch of gravel into a field covered in flowers.

"Woah." Peter yelped propping her back up, "Are you ok?"

She nodded, glancing behind them. One of the men had emerged from the shadows, and trailed behind them. Hazel panicked, mumbling curse words. She saw a jet hovering in the air and she grinned, looking at Peter as his eyes lit up at the sight.

But then Hazel felt something lodge into her leg and they buckled, sending her sprawling on the ground. Her shirt, where her shoulder had been injured had completely bled through, and now her leg joined the combo as a small dart poked out from it.

"Hazel!" Peter yelled, falling next to her. She felt her world tip back and fourth before taking a deep breath, keeping her eyes open. "Happy's here. He's here, come on we need to keep moving."

Everything hurt. She didn't want to move, didn't even think she could. But her head flopped to the side, and she saw the man retreat, she figured the others did as well.

"Hey, stay with me." Peter struggled to his feet, picking her up with him. "The jet's right there. We're almost there. It's gonna be safe—"

Then her eyes dropped and her breathing slowed, and it felt so nice to just lay there, to feel calm.

"Hazel— no, hey! Open your eyes." Peter yelled, "Happy! Happy, help! Please—"

"I-" she mumbled, her throat still stung. "Is this real?"

"Y-yes, it's real. C'mon, stay awake, Hazel." He told her, stumbling with her weight and his limp. He glanced down at her, and she could picture his face. "El— no, please, no. No, no—"

She didn't listen, and once again she fell down that dark hole. But this time she saw everything, and anything all at once. She could still hear Peter's voice, just barely. And then that dark hole swallowed her whole, and everything went black.