Twenty Two

Chapter Twenty Two:

"Hazel." A voice sighed, "You've got to wake up."

Hazel groaned, swatting the air as she turned over. After they had returned to the hotel and were swarmed by Mr Harrington, they trudged up to Peter's room. Ned had left a note, saying he was staying in Betty's room, that she was pretty shaken up. He also had written on another note pad, explaining what had happened while they were away.

Apparently the class was heading out of the country when the bus with all their belongings blew up. Thankfully they had all made it off and somehow managed to get back to the hotel. Nobody had checked out, mostly because Mr Harrington attempted to get them out in complete panic.

Since they hadn't gone with their class, Peter's backpack remained in their room. Yet both of their suitcases had somehow made it onto the bus, even her own backpack.

Peter had three tee shirts and a flannel with a pair of jeans and pyjama pants in his bag, which then he gratefully loaned Hazel a shirt and the pyjamas pants. She had showered then flopped onto the closest bed, curling under the covers, not even bothering to say goodnight to Peter.

Now something poked at her face, "I'm sleeping."

"You can sleep on the plane."

She peeled one eye open, landing on Peter who stood beside the bed and stared down at her.

"You're not dressed." She told him, referring to his bare chest. "So I have a few more minutes before I really need to get moving."

He had bruises forming all down his stomach and arms, and his face was slowly puffing up in areas as well.

"I have no idea how nobody knows you're Spider-Man. I mean, it's getting more and more obvious."

He sighed, walking around the bed and flopping down next to her. "I'm kind of sad the trips over."

"Why?"

"Because Mysterio and his Elementals are gone. We can actually be teenagers now."

Hazel pulled herself up, throwing the covers off of her and onto Peter. "C'mon, we're gonna be late."

"What happened to sleeping longer?"

"You're right." She told him, stretching her aching body. "I can sleep on the plane. It'll be easy, right? Considering I don't have any other clothes to change into."

He laughed, nodding. "You do look ridiculous."

Hazel huffed, staring down at her body. The pyjama pants were way to big for her, and with every step they fell down just a tad. Tying the string as tightly as she could hadn't done anything, and the green and yellow plaid pattern didn't help anything either. The bottoms were cuffed up four times so she didn't trip, but at least the shirt was just a plain white. That also almost reached her knees, but it was comfortable.

"They're yours for a reason." She glared at him, walking over to the door and fighting on her still wet shoes that she had worn with her suit the night before. She sighed, "Maybe jumping into the Thames wasn't the best idea."

He said nothing, and Hazel finished tying her shoes. A knock sounded on the door, followed by Mr Harrington's muffled voice telling them the bus was leaving in five minutes.

She swung open the door and stepped into the hallway, nearly missing Flash as he ran by holding his phone in the air. He shoved it in her face and yelled, "This is the girl who was on the news fighting beside Mysterio! I know her!"

Hazel rolled her eyes as he ran down the stairs, shoving past Mr Harrington. The door clicked shut behind her and Peter was there.

"Are you sure you wanna leave?"

"I want to go home." Hazel nodded, truly meaning it. She wanted to be back in New York and be with her dad. She wanted to go visit Morgan and try to track down Steve, because she refused to waste time with him being angry for his decision, she needed to see him before he left for good. "I miss Queens."

His hand slipped into hers and he lead the way, dragging her down the stairs and up onto a bus that would take them to the airport. They sat in the middle, slouching in the uncomfortable seats.

"I hope this one doesn't blow up." MJ's voice echoed, earning a scowl from most of the other kids. Hazel only laughed, which Peter replied to by nudging her arm and shaking his head.

They got to the airport soon after, and somehow they all managed to get onto the plane as planned. Hazel sat next to Peter, who had the window seat. Two strangers sat on the other side of her, causing her to scout over closer to him.

"I don't see how they thought getting back on a plane would be safe after everything that happened." Hazel mumbled, "I mean, blowing up a plane and getting it deemed an accident is probably easier than we think."

The women sitting on the end of their aisle leaned over and gave her an odd look before going back to talking to the man.

"Beck's gone." Peter said, straight faced. "No more surprises."

"I'm sure he had people working with him or for him. Everything he did and came up with I guarantee you he wasn't alone. He couldn't of been."

"I— so, does that mean he's not done?"

Hazel shook her head, "I don't think so."

He shifted in his seat, frowning out the window. "Sometimes... sometimes I wish I wasn't Spider-Man, you know? I wonder how my life would've been different."

Hazel yawned, resting her head on his shoulder. "You know it would've been different. I have no idea what your life was like before I met you but I know it would've been different." She told him, eyes fluttering shut. "You would've never met Tony. You would've never became an Avenger—"

"I'm not an Avenger."

She snorted, mind slowly shutting down. "No, you're not. And I know you think you're not good enough to be the next Ironman, even if no one can fill that role. But you're gonna come damn close, Peter. I know you will."

His head rested on hers and sighed, "Thanks." He mumbled.

"What's with you and disturbing my sleep?"

He said nothing, and Hazel fell back asleep more quickly than she thought.