thirteen

"One: you didn't answer my first question. Two: did you just compare me to a lemon? "

       "One: I don't know why I'm so upset, but I am. Maybe it's because I care about you and hearing you make suicidal comments is really upsetting. Two: yeah, I did, lemon."

        "One: I'm not suicidal- I just don't wanna be here. Two: I mean, I know I'm sour but a lemon? Really?"

     "Can we stop using this one, two method and just talk like normal people? Dy, why don't you want to be here? You've got so much to live for. I didn't call you a lemon because you were sour, I said it because you're different and that's good." Dylan leans against Sawyer softly, staring out the window.

      "I don't wanna be here because no one would care if I was gone. I'm different in a bad way."

       "I would care if you were gone. Dylan, I would suffer without you."

      "No you wouldn't."

       "Yes, I would," he says threateningly, pinning Dylan against the wall. "I'm not letting go until you realize that you're appreciated."

"What is it with you and taking advantage of my weakness?"

"Say it. Say 'I matter and I am loved and supported no matter what."

"That's not true and you didn't answer my question."

"It is true, and I'm taking advantage of you so that you're better in the long run."

"I'm not gonna say it 'cause I won't lie. Also, that doesn't even make sense."

"Say it."

"No."

"Say it or I'll-" sputters Sawyer, looking at the floor. "Uhm...."

"What'll you do, huh? You can't do anything to me."

"Say it or I'll kiss you," whispers Sawyer, tightening his grasp on Dylan and pushing their chests together.

"You wouldn't dare," hisses Dylan, struggling in Sawyer's arms.

"Yes, I would," he murmurs, tracing a hand down Dylan's cheek despite his escape efforts.

"Fine! Fine- I'm loved and supported or whatever you said."

"Good enough," laughs Sawyer, releasing his grasp on Dylan. Dylan sighs and rolls his eyes, sitting down on his desk chair. He runs his fingers through his messy dark-brown-almost-black hair, noticing he needs a haircut. "Hey, real talk, are you down for this party tonight? 'Cause if you are, we should be getting ready right about now. If not- which is okay- I can just... text them to not come. I guess. But it's okay..." Says Sawyer, looking a bit sad.

"No," sighs Dylan. "I'm not going to take away your fun. We'll have the party tonight- but this is the only one all summer."

"Deal!" Says Sawyer cheerfully, jumping to his feet and grabbing Dylan's hand. "Lily's brother is bringing the alcohol- he's 23- all we've gotta do is make the house look nice."

>><<

"Done!" Calls Dylan, tossing the last piece of trash into the bin. "What time is it?"

"5:28. Guests come at six," he replies, sweeping up the kitchen. The house actually looked pretty nice- it would likely be destroyed by the end of the night. Dylan sits down at the counter, watching Sawyer sweep.

"So, who's coming?" He asks, tapping his fingers in boredom.

"Not quite sure. Lily, Damon, Sammy, and Sue are all bringing a ton of people. Dude, it's gonna be a blast." Dylan smiles but feels his stomach drop. A ton of people? He better not have another panic attack- that would be quite embarrassing. "Hey, I can still tell them to not show up tonight if you're feeling anxious," says Sawyer softly, putting away the broom and sitting across the counter from Dylan. He grabs his hand supportively and smiles.

     "No... no. I want to do this," says Dylan confidently as he smiles back at Sawyer. Sawyer grins and jumps to his feet.

      "Good, because I just heard a car pull into the driveway. I think someone's here early!"