twenty eight

"Come on!" Emmy races into some clothing store with Lauren at her heels. Sawyer and Lily follow behind, chatting lazily. Dylan sits in front of the store, not caring to go in. Kathy sits next to him.

"Not your thing?" Dylan turns to her, crossing his legs on the bench.

"Nah. I don't like dresses and girly shit, I basically wear t- shirts and jeans." Dylan nods and smiles.

"I get it. I do the exact same thing, but I cuff the bottom of my jeans." Kathy squints her eyes.

"Do you like the song Sweater Weather?" Dylan raises his eyebrows, confused.

"I mean, yeah? Like, I've listened to it a few times and I loved it a while ago. Why?"

"Bisexual?" Dylan's mouth hangs open, shocked.

"How...? What? Sweater Weather? How did you know?" She laughs and rolls her eyes.

"It's stereotypical that bi people listen to Sweater Weather and cuff their jeans. Dude, I get it, I'm bi too." Dylan laughs and shakes his head.

"That's kind of terrifying. Anyone you like?"

"Well, Sawyer at first, but I'm not gonna make a move on your man. I've also liked Lauren for a really long time, but I think she likes Lily. Lily and Emmy are both straight, though." Dylan nods.

       "Yeah, I saw Lauren staring at Lily earlier." Kathy nods, staring into the store.

       "Dude, Sawyer blends in." Dylan snorts, watching Sawyer help the rest of the group pick out dresses.

       "He really does. I can picture it, 'Emmy, this one matches your eyes!' It's like he works there." Kathy smiles.

       "Hey, kinda random and a bit intrusive question, but are you out to your parents yet? I'm not and I'm thinking about doing it but I'm stressed." Dylan smiles, remembering what it was like before he was out.

       "Yeah, sorta. Well, my dad left my mom a while ago and then my 'perfect' brother ditched us for him. I'm out to my mom but not them." Kathy nods.

       "Did she take it well?"

        "Yeah, actually. She thought I was gay." Kathy laughs and smiles.

       "It's cool being able to talk to someone else who's bi. How come I've never talked to you before? We go to the same school!"

       "Well, I'm kinda the weird kid.  No friends, sits in the back of the class, silently. Ya know?" She smiles sadly.

       "Yeah, that was me before I met Lauren. I was actually super depressed."

     "I still am," Dylan says with a sad laugh. Kathy smiles, but it seems sad.

"I think we're gonna be good friends."

>><<

"Where do you guys wanna go now?" Kathy and Sawyer walk next to Dylan, he actually feels super happy.

"I would die for boba tea," Emmy replies, a bit threateningly. Lily leads the group to a little boba tea place, unrealistically adorable.

"This time I'm paying, you bought the coffee." Sawyer rolls his eyes at Dylan's remark.

"I wish you would let me." Dylan rolls his eyes.

"You're not allowed to do everything for me, dummy." Kathy smiles at Dylan, their conversation seemed to humor her. They order their tea, waiting at the counter.

"Wait, so are you both gay?" Emmy turns to Sawyer, a bit shocked.

"I'm bi, he's gay, we're dating." Dylan feels like he'd already said that earlier.

"Okay, it just occurred to me that I didn't know if one of you was bi." Dylan nods and points to himself. She is aware that there are other sexualities, right?

"He's not even the only one here," says Kathy, her voice sounding shaky. The other three girls turn to her, shocked.

"You're bi?" Lauren looks surprised, but also pleased. Hmmm.

"Yeah, a little bit." She rubs the back of her neck, looking nervous. Dylan squeezes her hand discreetly, resulting in a grateful look from her. "Actually, Dylan inspired me to come out."

"I'm only surprised that you're not gay," jokes Lily with a smile.

"That's what my mom said to me!" The guy at the counter gives them their boba tea and they pay.

"Come on, you're really going to pay for me?" Sawyer looks genuinely annoyed.

"We aren't doing this again, yes. You got coffee, I got tea." Sawyer rolls his eyes and sips his tea.

"What now?"