Chapter 1

"We're leaving now Kate!" My dad yelled at me from down the hallway.
"Okay I'm coming!" I scream through my closed door. I look at myself one final time in my mirror decorated in Polaroid photos before grabbing my bag and jogging out of my room to see my father.
"Good morning!" I say as I pass El, my adopted sister.
"Morning. Want some eggos?" She asks nicely.
"No sorry I'm in a bit of a rush!" I politely decline.
"Got everything?" My dad questioned.
"I think so." I say, double checking my bag. All I needed was my bathing suit, my whistle, a towel, flip flops and sunscreen.
Today was my first day working as a lifeguard at the Hawkins public pool. Since it was the first day of the pool being officially opened for Summer, the boss called for a meeting thirty minutes before opening.

"Andddddd we're here!" My dad says, coming to a stop at the front entrance.
I noticed many people staring at me and the car. Having your dad being the chief of police was pretty cool at sometimes and embarrassing at others.
"Okay thanks for the ride!" I say as he pulls away, waving.
I take one deep breath, readjust my bag and confidently stroll into my new workplace.
When I entered I only saw three people hanging out in the hallway. I recognized the oldest guy, as he was the boss who hired me. The other two looked familiar but I couldn't put names to their faces.
Two more teenagers walked in and now it was time to start the meeting.
"Okay everybody!" The boss stumbled out. "So thank you for applying for this job and-" He was suddenly cut off by the doors swinging open.
"Hey... Sorry I'm late. I like to make an entrance." The unknown boy said, taking off his sunglasses. He wore a burgundy button up shirt, but had half of the buttons undone showing off his chest. He paired that with plain blue jeans. What could I say? He was hot.
"Okay, okay. Come take a seat and introduce yourself." The boss says, which I later found out his name is Charlie.
"Hello everybody, nice to meet you all." He said smugly. "My name is Billy. Billy Hargrove."
The boss sighed. "Okay everybody we will split you up into six pairs of two to work your shifts. Billy and Kate you two will start today from 12:00 to 6:00."
He said more information but it didn't apply to me so I stopped listening for a while.
"Now go and claim your lockers. And remember one rule: No one drowns." Charlie says.
Billy lets out a little chuckle then immediately shuts up after realizing how serious the boss is.

Now, we were walking to the change rooms to claim our lockers, which would be ours for the Summer.
Suddenly, I feel a tap on my shoulder. I turn around to see that it's Billy.
"Hey?" I say, confused as to why he tapped me.
"Do you happen to know who the beautiful Kate is? I know we will be partners over the Summer so I-"
I cut him off before he could say anything else. "That would be me." I say smiling.
"Oh okay so I was right about one thing." He says smirking.
"And what's that?" I question.
"That you're beautiful." He says smiling.
I could instantly start to feel my cheeks go red as I stare into his ocean blue eyes.
I spin on my heel and start walking to the change rooms.
"Oh please! You probably use that line to pickup every girl in town!" I say laughing.
"No actually I haven't used it yet. But how do think it sounded? Should I use it again?" He rambles on, jokingly.
I stop in my tracks and turn to look at him. He smiled showing his perfect white teeth, which resulted in me smiling back.
"I like it." I say gently biting my lower lip, answering his question.
'Oh God' I think. 'What am I getting myself into?'