Chapter 59

I closed my eyes and jumped.
"Kate!" Billy screamed.
I expected to feel sharp claws digging into my skin, but instead I felt the cold pavement.
"Tyler!" Max screamed.
I looked up to see that Tyler sacrificed himself to save myself and Max. He was on the ground with the Demogorgan on top of him, stabbing him in the shoulders with its claws.

"No, no, no!" I yelled. Tyler didn't deserve this, he was one of the nicest guys I've ever met.
"Do something Billy!" Max screamed.
I looked to my left to see Billy standing in total shock. His eyes were full of terror and he was paralyzed with fear.
"Billy!" I screamed and it snapped him out of it.
He grabbed his gun from the car and began shooting at the Demogorgan, which made it even more angrier. Its claws dug through Tyler's skin and he let out an ear piercing scream. The Demogorgan preyed on Tyler and tore him up like a dog would to a chew toy.
"Run!" He choked out.

For the finale, the Demogorgan reached up and stabbed him right in the left side of his chest. Its claws went straight through his body and punctured his heart. Even more blood began to pour out of Tyler's body and onto the pavement.
"Tyler!" I sobbed out.
There was no response. His body went limp. He was dead.
"No!" Max cried out.
"Get in the car, now!" Billy yelled over our sobs. The Demogorgan was finished with one body and it was onto its next. With our luck, we were those bodies.

Max and I listened to Billy and hopped into his car. Billy fired a few more shots but then eventually got into the car with us. He fumbled with the keys as the Demogorgan got closer to us.
"Hurry up!" Max yelled.
"I'm trying!" He yelled back.
Finally, he stuck the keys into the ignition and we drove past Tyler's dead body.

The ride to Joyce's house was painful. The only noise to be heard was the soft sobs coming from Max and the sound of the car flying down the street.
I had my head leaned against the window and I was thinking about all of the memories Tyler and I made as roommates. I didn't know him for long but he was definitely like the brother I never had.
Tears slipped down my face and Billy noticed that so he held onto my hand with his free hand.

We finally arrived back at Joyce's house, with one less person.
"I feel sick." Billy says as he steps out of his car.
"He didn't deserve it." I mumbled out.
Billy walked over and pulled me into a hug. Even though he didn't like Tyler, he knew how much he meant to me. I cried into his shoulder for what seems like forever.
"You better now?" He asks when I let go.
I shook my head. "No but it's fine."
"Okay let's go. Come on Max."
Max climbed out of the backseat and together we walked into the house.

"Hey guys!" Joyce says as we enter the house.
"We've got a plan!" Nancy excitedly says.
I force a smile. "That's good." I say my voice cracking.
Immediately, my dad can tell something is wrong. "What's the matter?" He asks.
"Wait a minute." Joyce says before I can answer. "Where's Tyler?"
I shake my head as tears start streaming down my face.
"He was attacked." Billy says softly.
"Oh God!" Joyce says as she starts to pace the room.
"Damn it!" Johnathan yells.
I wipe my eyes and nod. "He was a good man. And he died protecting Max and I."
I turn to look at Billy and he looks down to the ground. I can tell he's embarrassed about not being the one to save his girlfriend and sister but instead he's a coward who froze with fear.

"What's going on?" El says, emerging from the bathroom.
Max pushed past everyone and ran to El. She hugged El so tightly, almost knocking her over.
"Tyler's dead." She whispered.

Around an hour later, Joyce and my dad told us what the plan would be. It was for Billy, Steve, El, Hopper and myself to drive down to the secret base to close the portal.
"Tyler was suppose to go with you guys, but..." Joyce's voice trailed off and I could tell she was emotional too. "Nancy, Johnathan, the kids and I will stay here just incase Brandon wants to come and attack us."
I looked at Joyce. "Do you think we have enough guns and ammunition?"
She shrugged her shoulders. "I hope so."