Chapter 7

"Do you have any plans for the fourth of July?" I ask Billy, while we check kids in so they can use the pool.
"I actually do. I'm planning on going on a long drive with this girl I really like. Then we can stop and lookout at the fireworks." Billy says, writing a name down.
"That's really sweet. What's she like?" I ask, grinning from ear to ear, hoping it'd be me.
"Well she's really pretty and a total badass."
"Watch the language!" A woman standing in line says strictly.
Billy rolls his eyes. "Anyways, she's really sweet, nice and kind. She's basically the opposite of me." He says smiling at me.
"She sounds pretty great." I say. "What's her name?"
"Her name's Jennifer." He says.
My heart drops and I frown.
Billy starts to laugh hysterically. "I got you." He laughs out. "I was wondering if you'd want to go with me?"
I start to laugh. "I don't know, I'll have to check my schedule. I got a bunch of dates lined up for the next few weeks."
"Oh." Billy says, upset.
"You're not the only trickster around here, Hargrove." I say, giggling. "I'd love to go out with you, Billy."
A huge grin forms on Billy's face. "Wow. You got me good." He says.
I look up to see my worst nightmare in this scenario. My father.
"Hey dad." I say, my voice trembling.
"Hello, Katherine." He replies. He never used my full name unless I was in deep trouble. "Can I speak to you in private?" He says, staring at Billy. But Billy doesn't break the stare as he holds his ground.
"Okay, I guess." I say, leading him outside.

"I told you to stay away from him!" He shouts.
"He's my work partner! I don't have a choice but to be around him." I say, yelling back.
"You seem to be more than work buddies." He says, running his hand through his hair. "Oh my God." He says, staring at me.
"What?" I ask, scared of the answer.
"You haven't been hanging out with Nancy, Johnathan or your sister. You've been with that boy, haven't you?"
I freeze. He figured it all out. "N-No."
He starts to laugh. "I am so naive! Or maybe you are? I told you to stay away and yet you hang out with him all the time. You've lost my trust, Kate.  Don't expect a ride home untill I gain it back." He says, walking back to his car.
"Damn it." I whisper to myself, kicking a rock.

When I return, Billy stares at me.
"Everything alright?" He says.
I nod. "He just wanted to let me know he can't drive me home." I lie.
"Oh okay. Want a ride home?" He offers.
"If you don't mind." I reply.
"Not at all. It gives me more time away from that little shithead, Max. Also, I didn't know your dad was the chief of police."
I nod my head. "He is and has been for over 5 years now."
Billy nods. "I better not get into any trouble or else he won't like me even more."
"He doesn't not like you!" I say, completely lieing.
"Kate, I know when someone doesn't like me. He hates me with a passion."
I stay silent.
"See?" He says.
"He's entitled to his own opinion. That's not going to stop me though." I say, causing Billy to grin.
"I like the dedication." Billy says, smiling.
Deep down I know nobody's cared for Billy the way I have.

I wave to Billy as he speeds off, out of my small driveway. When I enter, the house is completely empty. I sigh and head to my room. On my way, I notice the fallen magnets. I open my bedroom door and jump at the sight of El and Max.
"What are you doing?" I say, startled.
"Shush." Max responds.
I look down at El and she has a blindfold on, with blood streaming out of her nose.
"I found him." El says.
"What's he doing?" Max asks.
"They're talking about us. Saying we're different, species."
"Oh my God!" Max says, pacing around my room with her hands in her hair. "They're totally morons!" She says.
El pulls her blindfold off and she blinks a few times. "Yeah. Morons."
"Were you spying?" I ask.
El hesitates then nods.
"This is kind of fun." Max says. "We should do Billy."
"I don't know if that's a good idea." I say.
"Sure it is. If he's with a girl, get out of there quickly." Max says.
'He better not be' I think.
El pulls the blindfold back over her eyes.
We wait for a few moments, untill she finally speaks again. "Got him."
"What is he doing?" Max and I ask in unison.
"He's driving and talking to himself."
"Talking to himself?" Max says. "What a weirdo."
"Shush." El says, causing Max to quietly apologize.
"I can't hear, the music's too loud." El says.
"Try!" Max says, forcefully.
"Don't push her." I step in and say.
"Girlfriend! He said something about girlfriend." El says, wiping her nose.
"Girlfriend? You must be hearing wrong! He doesn't love or care about anyone except himself."
El takes her blindfold off and stares at me. "You. I heard your name."