Chapter Twelve

C h a p t e r T w e l v e

The Garrison was fairly busy for a Wednesday afternoon, both Lynette and Grace had not had much time to stop as they poured drinks and kept on top of their own duties. They were relieved to discover that Harry had been given a few shifts despite the new ownership, until he could find other work.

There had been questions about the scabbing injury above Lynette's eyebrow, she had been able to pass it off as a simple accident at home. However, she could only present faux confusion when there were inquiries about a foul smell that no one could find a cause of. No one had yet realised that it was a result of the blood which had sunken under the floor boards.

As the two barmaids discussed their plans for the upcoming match day, they were joined by Harry who leaned across the counter to talk to them.

"My brother in Digbeth just said the police are coming down from Deritend in numbers asking for Tommy Shelby by name."

"Fuck," Lynette swore quietly before looking up to see the devil himself enter the pub, she couldn't think of a worse time for him to be there.

"Shit," Harry muttered before returning to collect empty glasses from the tables.

Tommy joined the two women behind the counter, opening the door to the storage room before nodding to Lynette to go in after him. She followed without a second thought, knowing that she had to warn him of the police that were on their way. Tommy closed the door behind them, leaving Harry and Grace on the other side.

"We're going to have to lay low for a while," he stated, his expression and tone serious.

Lynette looked up at him in bewilderment, unsure why she had to hide so suddenly. Her mind thought back to Tommy's warning of Campbell knowing her true identity. "Why?" She asked cautiously.

"I lost my bargaining power. We have to leave. This copper, if he catches you, he'll arrest you on suspicion of murder."

"Shit," the redhead swore once again as a hand came up to scratch her head in an anxious manner. "Harry said the police are already in Digbeth."

"Yeah."

"Do you think they will remember searching my house from the raid?" Lynette asked as she tried to think of appropriate hiding spots that were close enough to reach before the police arrived.

"They don't," Tommy shook his head. "Campbell mentioned his disappointment in Moss yesterday for not being able to record addresses of new comers that move into the city. This is the first place they'll look for you, that's why I had to come back."

Any further discussion was interrupted as the door to the storage room opened. Grace stepped into the room, not bothering to close the door behind her or pretend that she had not been listening into their conversation.

"Grace!" Lynette snapped, both Tommy and herself looking at the Irish woman in shock.

"Go to your home now and I'll cover for you," she ordered as she looked between the two individuals, Lynette's scowl quickly shifted into a frown.

"What?"

"You can tell me off for listening in later. I'll get them off your tail, go out the back and along the alley. There's no windows that way, you can make it down Witton Street unseen."

The were joined by another figure, this time much smaller and quicker. Finn rushed up to them, squeezing past Grace to look up at his older brother with worry. "The police are in the lane, Tommy!" he warned.

The grown ups in the room exchanged glances before Lynette took Tommy's hand in her own. "Thank you," she rushed to Grace before they made their way passed the woman and boy.