Chapter Fourteen

C h a p t e r F o u r t e e n

The streets had become deserted with the news of trouble approaching Small Heath. As Lynette looked out the window of her home with a gun in hand, she was fearful of what would happen to the few men they had going against all of the men that Kimber would arrive with. Their chances of coming out victorious had plummeted as they were scarily outnumbered with the absence of the Lees, who were already on their way to the racetracks.

Tommy had urged Lynette to take Ada and the baby to her home where she could protect them, while Polly left to deal with Grace. As much as she wanted to confront Grace for betraying them, she knew that looking after the family was more important. She, Ada and the baby had been in her house for nearing half an hour without any news of how the Peaky Blinders were getting on.

"This is so unfair," Ada complained from the couch causing the older woman to turn to look at her. "I'm sick of all the fucking fighting, why can't men just put their guns away and stop acting like fucking dicks?"

Lynette could see the frustrations that were building up in the girl. She could feel it too, but knew that she had to be the maturer one in the situation and try to hide it.

She left her place at the window to sit on the armchair next to Ada. "I know, but this is the best option to keep you and Karl safe. We can't be out on the streets when it all goes down."

"That's exactly what we should do!"

Taking her attention away from the sleeping figure of Karl in his pram, Lynette looked at the girl with a furrowed brow. "What do you mean?"

Ada leaned forward in her seat, a determined expression now on her face. "We should show them that not everything has to be solved with waving guns around! Aren't you sick of the way men handle things? Maybe us women should intervene and put an end to this whole war. Tommy's plan to replace Kimber is not worth dying over."

"It's not just taking over Kimber on Tommy's mind," Lynette stated while shaking her head. "He wants to expand the business and build a future for his family, he wants to see this company succeed so there is no worries for the future. He's helping to build a future for you and little Karl."

"You love my brother, right?" Ada asked.

"I do," she answered confidently.

Ada continued to stare at the woman, the seriousness in her tone and body language unwavering. "What would you do to protect him?"

"I'd do anything."

There was nothing false about her answer. At the start of the day, she was already fully committed to Tommy and making this relationship last. But after discovering what he had done for her - to ensure there was no evidence to send her to jail - she was now more adamant that she would do anything Tommy asked of her, or anything to ensure his safety.

"Then I have an idea," Ada smiled almost wickedly. "But we're gonna have to ransack your closet."

..............................

The two women marched with a purpose as they walked towards Garrison Lane, already knowing where they would find the Peaky Blinders and Kimber at the pub. If tactics from the war were anything to go on, then Lynette knew that Tommy would want to be somewhere familiar.

After having changed into black clothing from Lynette's wardrobe, they left the house with Karl in his pram. There was a strange sense of power in Lynette as she wore clothing that would be disproved in society, but wearing a pair of her trousers and one of Tommy's coats that he had left at her house made her feel untouchable.