Epilogue

E p i l o g u e

Heartbreak was a task that everyone had to cope through, it was by no doubt one of the most painful experiences that life would throw at you. It could come in different levels, depending on the situation. Being rejected could be viewed as a minor form of heartbreak, while losing the death of a spouse would be far more painful to endure. Some might spent years unable to shake the memories of the one you once loved, while others found it easier to handle.

Inspector Campbell was not someone who handled the rejection from Grace Burgess well, he knew that she had gotten too close to the people her mission involved. Her proximity with them had caused her to feel guilty for betraying them, therefore she had chosen them over him.

He was disgusted with the Peaky Blinders, and blamed them for the pain he was experiencing. Especially after being shot by the woman he was infatuated with. He blamed Thomas Shelby and Lynette Paterson for tricking Grace into believing that it was justifiable to do horrendous crimes, based on the fact that you were a good person.

He wanted Tommy - the man whose name alone infuriated him - to know how it felt to have your heart broken. Campbell knew that he could take advantage of the fact that the Scottish beauty had been able to tame the Birmingham King by love.

His plan was already forming as he lay there on the platform of the Small Heath Train Station, clutching his wounded leg. He would allow Shelby to run his business smoothly, and let him continue to think that life was good. And when he reached the point that he could no longer see himself living without a woman like Lynette, Campbell would make his move.

He would break down the gangster slowly, starting with the chipping of his heart. In the end Lynette Paterson would be gone, and Thomas Shelby would be forced to understand the heartbreak that Campbell had endured. He would take pleasure in watching him suffer.

Then, and only then, would he have the satisfaction of putting down the notorious criminal, like a wounded animal.

Lynette Reid will return in Code Red