Year One

I do not own any of the settings or characters (Well except Harley), I'm simply borrowing them from J.K Rowling. This is my first story on here so take it easy:) Thanks and hope you enjoy!

~A

Year One: Part One

I adjusted my light blond hair with shaking fingers and took a deep breath. I'd stalled long enough. It was time to put on my robes. We'd be at Hogsmead any minute. As if on cue the train slowed. I jumped up and scrambled for my robes from my trunk. "Calm down, it takes a while for the train to slow down." The third year Ravenclaw giggled at my haste. I frowned slightly and ran to the bathroom to change. By the time I came out the train had stopped and I felt sick. What if my parents were right and I wasn't good enough? What if I lost control and burned down the school or something? Or had no friends? I shook the thoughts from my mind. No. I wouldn't think like that. That wouldn't happen.

I stumbled out of the train and towards the boats. I relaxed, most of the other first years looked terrified too. It was time to be myself. I held my head high and walked to the little boats rather slowly. When I got there I jumped in a boat with a boy in it, his hair was black and neat. He glared at me through icy blue eyes but held out his hand anyways. At least he was polite. He didn't look scared at all- I wonder why. "Tom. Tom Marvolo Riddle. I'm going to be in Slytherin." I smiled slightly because he was so sure, like me, that he would be in Slytherin. "I'm going to be in Slytherin too. I'm Harley Payton." The rest of the ride was quiet, peaceful and friendly. He didn't show much emotion but it didn't matter to me, at least he wasn't shaking or stuttering. Maybe, just maybe I'd made a friend.

At the school a professor told us about being sorted and then led us in. I sneered at the tattered hat but went up when my name was called. The second the hat touched my straight hair it cried out, "Slytherin!" loudly. Applause sounded at the farthest table back. But I looked down at Tom, mouthing "Told you." smugly. He came and sat beside me minutes later, sorted into Slytherin as well. We both sat there grinning like idiot while all the other first years looked scared out of their skin.

The common room was better than I could have imagined. It was perfect- in the dungeons, but it seemed cozy and inviting. Most everything was green, black or silver, it was beautiful. "It's amazing." I commented to no one in particular. It was Tom beside me and when I looked over he had a small smile spread across his thin lips. He was pleased too.

Most of the kids disappeared into their rooms but Tom and I sat down on the black sofa in silence. Silence was preferable to useless chatter. "Sometimes I'd wondered what it would be like to be in any other house." Tom said carefully and I smiled, I too had thought about it, never considered it but thought about it. "I had a nightmare once that I was in Gryffendor, it was horrible." I grimaced at the thought and looked at Tom who again showed no emotion. I wondered for a second if there was something wrong with him until he caught my eye and all my doubt was erased as I saw my reflexion, emotionless in his eyes, like him in my eyes. We were the same. "What happened? In the dream, I mean." He asked, I started explaining and some third years came up behind us. "Awe is poor little Payton wanting to be in Gryffendor?" They teased.

I shut down, all my self-assurance vanished in seconds, I hated being teased. Tom turned his icy glare on them and hissed, "Shut it" menacingly. I'll admit it scared me a little, so it didn't surprise me they glared at us and ran up the stairs, out of the dungeons. I smiled crookedly at Tom and the corners of his mouth turned up slightly. "Go on Harley."

And then I knew, I had made not only a friend but a best friend...

Sorry it's a little short and boring but its only a kickoff chapter so please don't freak! It'll get better I promise.