Year Two

I do not own any of the settings or characters (Well except Harley), I'm simply borrowing them from J.K Rowling.

Year Two: Part One

I placed my hand in Tom's and stepped onto the wet soil. "A perfect gentlemen, as always." Tom's eyes gave away his emotions as they twinkled with happiness. I wrapped my arms around him while people swarmed into the castle around us. "It's good to be home." I whispered. Tom had grown over the summer, his hair was longer and had a slight curl to it. His face had gotten more slender and I could've sworn he'd gotten paler. "Did you go outside at all this summer, Tom? You're pale as a ghost!" Tom shined a rare smile and inspected me at arms length. "How was your summer, Harley?" Tom asked, disregarding my comment. "It was fine." I said evenly, trying to hold what was left of a smile on my face.

"Well we're here now, speaking of which." He waved towards the castle. "If we hurry to the library we can make it back in time for the feast. You've got to see something!" Excitement lit up his eyes and he pulled me through the castle by my hand. I saw a thick lock on the door ahead but Tom just froze for a second before pushing open the door. "How'd you do that?" Tom looked at me with a worried expression on his face but buried it quickly. "There was a lock. I saw it." Tom waved it off, "It was open Harley... Here." He pulled a spare copy of Hogwarts: A History off the shelf, it was a new book, I didn't have it yet. "Read this part." I looked at the page he turned to, one he was obviously familiar with as he turned right to it.

I scanned over the beginning of the page. "Its just about how Salazar Slytherin didn't want anything less then pure bloods in Hogwarts and then how he left the school." I shrugged, why was Tom so fascinated? "Not that part! The part about a hidden chamber called the chamber of secrets! It's hidden in the school and we're going to find it." My eyes widened, how could you hide a room! A big one by the sounds of it! Maybe it was hidden magically or maybe it was underground or... Thoughts spilled through my mind and each one was worse than the next. I read the part about the chamber of secrets and pulled back. "'It is said to be home of a monster.' That's what it says! Tom did you even read that part?!" He nodded and his eyes lost all there emotion. "It's an obstacle, I'll admit but I can get more books. I'm sure one will tell us what it is and how to control it."

"Or kill it." I muttered under my breath. Tom looked surprised at my hate for the unknown monster, but only for a second. "So do you want to find more books or I guess we should probably go to the feast, huh?" I thought about it for a minute, I really was hungry and I liked watching the sorting but then again... "Find books." The idea of a hidden chamber was fantastic and I just couldn't resist.

"Well they're in the restricted section... And technically we're not allowed in without permission..." My mouth turned up in a mischievous smile and Tom's did the same. "Let's get looking then."

***

Tom pulled the door closed silently behind us and I tucked a book under my robes. "Hurry up Tom, we're going to get into trouble." I whispered and Tom turned around. It was late. I looked at the ticking clock on the librarians desk, 3:42 am. If we were caught wondering about the school at this hour we'd be in detention all year. We snuck down the hall as quietly as possible. Footsteps sounded suddenly down the hall and I grabbed Tom's wrist in fear. Professor Dumbledore rounded the corner with a slightly frowning face. "Tom? Harley? What in the name of Merlin are you doing out at this hour?" Tom looked down at his shoes and the sly smile he'd worn all night fell off. He wasn't going to get us out of this.

"I was feeling ill, professor. Tom was taking me to the hospital wing." Dumbledore saw right through the holes in that situation. I only had one chance to patch them up. "You see, professor I don't really have any other friends, that's why I woke Tom." Dumbledore looked at Toms expression and nodded cautiously. "Alright carry on, do not wonder about though." We both nodded and he walked past us. I breathed out, he knew. He didn't say anything but he knew. I shrugged and we walked down the hall back to the common room.

We didn't find it. Not in our second year, but we didn't give up, we found more books with more information that led us no where. We wrote over the summer, usually it was theories about where the chamber might be. But a few letters Tom asked about my summer. I lied of course. Wrote 'alright, yours?' in curved letters rather than I just want to go back to Hogwarts, I hate summer. But it made me feel better when he wrote back, 'fine' in his thin scrawling cursive.

We'd never spoken about our families before, I didn't even know if he was pure-blood, half-blood or muggle born. I was half-blood. My father was a wizard but my mother hated that he didn't tell her so she left him and took me. She started drinking when I told her I was a witch. She mostly left me alone. I wondered what Tom 's family was like... Maybe I'd ask him sometime.

Hope you guys liked this chapter! I'll keep posting...

~A