↠Wait For It - 023

"I am the one thing in life I can control"

W A I T F O R I T

"Sage." The young Queen jumped and dropped her book on the table when a deep voice called out her name unexpectedly. "Regulus?" Sage questioned when she turned and saw the young boy. "Your brother is struggling to adjust but he's doing better around our housemates than I expected." Regulus pulled out a chair and sat next Sage. "That's good. Is he rushing to learn his study materials?" She continued to question the younger boy. "Yes, but I've made it clear to him that I would help him study," He answers her question.

Sage nodded and smiled at him. "I sent out the letter the other night, when I get the I.D. back I'll send it to you under the name Kathrine Madison. Remember that, okay?" Regulus smiled softly back at her. "Thank you," He was grateful, you could hear it in his voice. "Have... Have you said anything about this to my brother?" It was his turn to ask the questions. "No, and I won't unless you want me to. The only people who know is us, the ones arranging this only know what I need and nothing more."

The young girl was happy she could help him, knowing how desperate he was to get out of the Death Eaters inner circle and away from the people he and Sirius were forced to call family. "Alright, I'm going to see if Jasper needs anything... Thank you...For everything." Regulus got up and left. Sage turned to see Regulus walk out and Lily Evans walk right in after him.

———

"Perfect!" Sage exclaimed when Lily approached her. The redhead gave her a weird look and sat down across from her. "Yes?" Lily was confused. "I got you a gift!"Sage happily stood up and pulled a small box out of her bag. "What? Why? I didn't know we were gift trading!" Lily sat up straight and looked at Sage with a slight frown. "We aren't, I found this and thought of you. Consider it a thank you present for putting up with me," Sage smiled brightly at Lily.

Sage handed Lily the box. Lily looked at it and then back up at Sage as if waiting for approval to open the present. Sage nodded and motioned for her to open it. "Merlin's beard! Sage, I can't accept this!" Lily looked at the necklace in shock. It was silver, with two rubies on it. The first ruby was in the middle with silver surrounding it, and the second was dangling off of the first one. "No, I insist! You go to the Slugclub Parties and this matches most of your dresses, it also would look great on you. Here, wear it." Sage pulled the necklace out of the box and clasped it around her neck.

Sage squealed slightly and admired how it looked on her friend. "Sage, you should have told me you got me something, I would have gotten you something too," Lily scolded Sage but then looked back down at the necklace. "I love it, I do..." Sage grinned proudly. "I had help picking out, wanna know who helped me?" Lily looked curious. "James," All curiosity drained from her face and it was replaced by rage. "You let that arrogant-" Sage couldn't help but laugh loudly at her friends' reaction. "No, I wouldn't let him pick out jewelry for anyone, and certainly not you." Lily visibly relaxed.

Sage just sighed. "You know, I think you should give him a chance," She started. "He isn't the person you think he is, Lils, he's done a lot more good than bad. And even some of the bad wasn't out of malice, just fun," She stuck up for her other friend. "Have you seen what that arrogant toe rag has done to Severus? James and Sirius torture him, Sage," The redhead was in disbelief. "And I know you make it clear how you disapprove of that behavior, but they still do it. How is that fair to Severus?"

"How is it fair to you that you always go rushing to his defense and when you need defending he just leaves?" Lily leaned back in her chair and stared at the box on the table. "He doesn't like picking fights," The redhead told her. "That's not what I see him do. I've only seen James and Sirius go after him twice, and both times he's initiated it." Sage had a distasteful facial expression. "What?" Lily sounded shocked. "Ask him about it, Lils, I'm sure he'll be honest with you. You're his only real friend out of all those Slytherins he hangs out with." Sage offered her a supportive smile and but her hand on her shoulder.

———

"I saw you and Lilypad in the library this morning. Was it about the gift you got her?"Remus questioned Sage as they sat down in front of the Gryffindor fireplace. "Yes. Oh, Merlin, Remus you should have seen her face when I told her that James helped me pick it out, her reaction was priceless!" Remus laughed as he pictured the redhead slowly getting angry. "You torture that poor girl sometimes, Sage," He only sighed. "We also talked about Severus. I don't think he's being completely honest with Lily anymore," Remus looked slightly surprised by her words. "You think he would do that to the only person who shows how much they care about him?"

Sage looked at Remus shrugged. "I think he doesn't know what to think. On one side, there's Lily, the sweet girl who has always stood by his side and came running to defense, but on the other, there are his Slytherin friends who constantly preach about blood purity and how Muggleborns shouldn't be allowed to attend Hogwarts." Sage could see why the young boy was conflicted. She could also see how much it was making him suffer. Remus nodded as he could understand the point she was making. "Do you think-" Remus was cut off by James and Sirius pushing each other down the stairs wrestling.

Both of them were laughing hysterically. Peter came down not long after them and stood by Remus and Sage as the three of them grinned at the boys. James finally pushed Sirius off and put his hands up in surrender. "Okay, mate, okay! We go with your idea, but next time I get to make the decision!" Sirius threw his arms up in the air in victory. "Bloody hell." Remus rubbed his hands over his face and laughed humorlessly. "James! Lily and I talked about you today," James looked at Sage with a growing smile. "And what did my dear Lilypad have to say about me?" Sage laughed at his nickname for the redhead. "She called you, and I quote, 'Arrogant toe rag'."

James jaw dropped. The rest of the Marauders laughed at his reaction. Sage had her hands over her stomach as she laughed.

"What kind of nickname is that!?"

———