Important Books

Summary
Needing a way to hide, after rummaging through Crowley's flat, Aziraphale turns himself into a book— and thus overhears Crowley's conversation with his plants about the angel.

***
You guys don't know how much I love this idea–

***
Don't forget to vote if you enjoy the chapter, thank you!

Word Count: 1,991
***

Aziraphale stood outside Crowley's door with a set expression of determination. It had been nearly a month since he'd leant Crowley his copy of Matilda and he desperately wished for it back- it being a signed copy by Roald Dahl himself, Aziraphale actually having run into the man once or twice.
He'd asked for it back from the demon multiple times now only to be shrugged off as I'll get it to you tomorrow, 'kay? Only for tomorrow never to come.
So, Aziraphale had decided to take manors into his own hands and come to take the book for himself.

Drawing in a short breath, Aziraphale lifted a tight fist to knock on the door.

There was no answer.

Aziraphale waiting a few moments longer before pressing the buzzer.

No answer.

"Oh for Heaven's sake." Aziraphale sighed and snapped his fingers so that the door unlocked.

He really shouldn't have been entering without permission- but he felt that after Six Thousand years, one need not ask to enter the other's home if the other was to be rude enough not to answer...after all, when did Crowley ever ask to enter?

Aziraphale entered quickly before shutting the door behind him.
"Crowley!"

There was no response.

"Good heavens.." Aziraphale muttered, "Crowley, are you home?" He called again.

No answer.

"I suppose I'll just have to look for it on my own...say something if you disagree!" Aziraphale added the last part cheekily.
Without a response, the angel began his work, nosing about the place.

Truly, he could have miracled the book into appearing, but what was the fun in that? This gave him an excuse to see just how the demon lived- not that he should care...but he most certainly did.

He was surprised to find that almost every cabinet and drawer was empty- other than that of his desk, which held a few books on astronomy.
No Matilda, however.

Aziraphale moved from the main office area into the hall, nosing about before landing on a small table under a window, surrounded by plants. Atop the table was none other than the book in question.

"There you are!" Aziraphale beamed, hurrying over to the book before gently picking it up. The pages were as neat and uncreased as when he left it- almost as if it hadn't been read at all.
He took a moment to admire Crowley's ability to keep the book in shape before a rustling woke him from his thoughts.

Aziraphale glanced around to locate the rustling and found his eyes land on one of the plants that made up the decor of the hallway— no, not one of the plants...all of the plants...one by one, they began to tremble, as if they could sense a danger that Aziraphale could not.

"No need to get so bent up about things, my dears, I'm only here for the book." Aziraphale reassured them with a smile.

This did little to improve the plants' moods.

Aziraphale frowned, "What does he do that makes you shake so? You look perfectly fine to me."

The plants shook more violently.