Chapter Nine

Finding Damon's office only took a quick google search—which was derailed as I fell into a pit of photos of him from magazine covers to pictures of him at society functions with the same brunette on his arm. Renee Burke was pale and sophisticated, or at least she seemed that way in the photos of her and Damon, all of the captions of their pictures together were the same. Damon Chase and Girlfriend.

As I took the elevator up to the executive floors of the Dwyer-Chase Building the butterflies returned, and the only thing that quieted them was looking at the pictures of Damon and Renee. They looked like the perfect couple, like they should have a place in the Hamptons where they'd have their June wedding. I was jealous, and I didn't have a reason to be. What was strange was that I had more of a problem with Renee than Lola.

The doors opened and walked into a large sprawling glass and white granite lobby. One wall was a window that overlooked the lower floors, you could see all the way down to the main lobby and it was vertigo inducing. Shaking my head, I approached the receptionist's desk. The woman was blonde, and it took a moment for me to recognize Lola looking like executive assistant barbie.

She grinned at me, and my stomach flopped as the urge to leave grew until it was almost unignorable. It was hard to speak to her, to say I was supposed to meet with Damon when she'd seen me with him in the elevator. She knew, and she knew I was replaceable. Looking at her pretty face with its perfect Instagram worthy contour and dramatic eyeliner I felt ugly and replaceable. No where as glamourous as Lola or as sophisticated and elegant as Renee. I had on makeup, but it wasn't anywhere close to enough, and I felt ashamed to be so barefaced as I approached the desk.

"Um...I'm Marie St. Christi, here to see Mr. Chase," my voice came out in a whisper and maybe a little higher pitched than normal.

"Mr. Chase's prior meeting is running long, you're to wait for him here." She looked at the leather couches that face reception and I nodded. "Can I take your coat?" I shrugged out of my coat and passed it over to her before sitting down on the couch. She walked away with my coat down a hallway, though she wore a blouse and blazer her skirt was very short and tight.

Catching the distinct lack of panty line, I looked away and held myself for a bit as she returned and went back to work. I didn't know how I felt about her working with him all day. Wetting my lips, I shook my head it was none of my business. Taking out my phone I checked my texts, Hallie had been trying to get in touch with me since our argument.

—Your sugar daddy is Damon mother-fucking Chase?! Was her last message, sent last night almost right after she caught us in the kitchen.

—Yep. The one and only.

—So you're going to say yes right? She replied instantly, and I stared at the screen before looking up at Lola who was focusing on the computer screen in front of her.

Before seeing that she worked with him I was already apprehensive but now with this little gem I couldn't help but wonder where the fuck he stashed Renee and if I would end up employed by him too. Then I realized I wouldn't, because they'd been with him for years and we would only be a month. I closed my messaging app without responding to Hallie.

About an hour later a group of men in suits left down the hall, several looked Lola over but none so much as noticed me. Maybe that was why he wanted me, he didn't like other men looking at his things and I'd be a thing he possessed, but he felt no ownership over Lola. The thought made me cringe as I pulled my long dark hair over my shoulder. I'd curled it this morning and I thought it looked nice but clearly not nice enough to distract others from the beacon that was the platinum blonde Lola. The skirt I wore wasn't half as short and without heels my legs didn't look nearly as perfectly toned as hers. No wonder he wanted to fuck her; she was what most men wanted. And I was...