Our Second Date

August 31st: 1888

Murder.

Isn't it interesting how a single word can change a persons life, my dear? Of course, words have their connotations, positive and negative. Words such as: love, marriage, baby, wedding, christening, friends.... all share similar reactions. Joy, happiness, pleasure. Emotions that are, in my opinion, completely useless. Yes, useless, but so easily noticeable.

How do you see happiness? Usually a smile will appear on a persons face. Their eyes would widen, cheek-lines form and body language perfected. Did you know, my dear, that you can hear happiness too? Yes a persons voice will adopt a higher pitch and often a quicker pace to match.

While, in a completely juxtaposed position, there are many words that consist of negative connotations. This, in it's extreme form, will include: break (this often refers to either an object or a relationship), stress, pain and for our grand finale two words used that could tear apart a persons life, in more ways than one,murder and death. If you would pardon the pun, death tears a life away quite literally. However, in my experience death can effect friends and family just as much, maybe even more. One would generally think that the word death contains the most negative connotations in the dictionary. These people are wrong, of course. The word 'death' also has positive connotations, such as peace and tranquility, along with a lack of pain. A person dying of sickness must be in tremendous pain, death brings and end to suffering.

No, my dear, would you like to know what the worst word is? Of course you do, you've always been a curious one. Well then, that word is 'murder'. Murder shares all of the negative connotations with death, for that is the result of murder. However, there are no positive connotations to murder, are there? No, for there was no suffering, no pain, just a sudden death.

I know what I do causes the worst of reactions. But this is justice, my dear. When a unlawful act is committed it is, of course, only right to punish them. That is what I am doing, do you see? I am punishing those who the authorities won't. Perhaps I am a vigilante? I strive to make this world a better place, and it will be once 'they' are gone.

Perhaps I could tempt you to join me? You have seen the world I reside and experienced the same as I. As I walk down Bucks Row, I keep an eye out for you. The probability of seeing you here is extremely low, yet, there you are. Glancing down the street. Are you looking for somebody my dear? I do wish it was me you are looking for. Again, the probability is low. But, again, that is life.

Life is infinitely stranger than anything which the mind of man could invent. We would not dare to conceive the things which are really mere commonplaces of existence.

Though I am aware that you did not notice it,my dear, I must take my leave of your presence. Tonight, I have business to take care off. Justice shall be served. I do wonder, however, if you will be joining me tonight? Only time shall provide the truth, surly any truth is better than indefinite doubt.

Before I take my leave, I turned back towards you, my dear. You were watching the sun set. That usual resolved look in your eyes. The smallest movement in your lips, tightened in determination. One might be concerned that I can read you so well, but worry not. For I can read everyone. To a great mind, nothing is little. Especially when it comes to you, I find it entertaining to watch your expressions change, even the slightest bit.

I left the area as the waning crescent moon rose into the heavens. I searched for my target, a prostitute named Mary Nicholas. As I found my target, I followed her to a nearby ally. The home of all worthwhile crimes. I killed her. She was rather too easy to kill. Quite boring if I must say.

Following my standard routine I took my knife and slashed away at the body. As I did, I recalled a thought I had quite some time ago; "it's a wicked world, when a clever man turns his brain to violence it is the worst crime of all".

I let myself slip, I forgot to observe my surroundings. So lost in the heat of the moment I didn't hear the approaching footsteps, and then it was too late. I gripped my gun tight and acted on instinct. Pure animalistic instinct.

This evening, I contemplated the use of a word. I never stopped to consider how much impact a single second could have. Time seemed to slow as realisation came to me. A feminine figure, stood tall. Eyes fixed into mine, not to the slaughtered and slashed corpse before me, as one would expect. Their mouth tight, yet possessing an ever so slight smile.

Not even a second later, I saw their eyes widen, the realisation must have hit them too. Their slight smile faded and they looked downward. My eyes followed theirs, only to land on a stain of red. Green eyes met mine once more, I saw their fear and hurt and for perhaps the second time in my life, I am certain my eyes showed it back.

Their body started to fall, it felt so slow, yet it could only have been a few seconds. They landed on their back, eyes pointing to the heavens above. I knelt down next to them, their green eyes met my blue ones for perhaps a final time. I truly hoped not, I must find a way to save them. This is the one person, I truly never wanted to hurt her. My little angel, my rose, what have I done to you? I must find a way to save you. Please Angel, just stay alive.

For me.