Our Fourth Date, Now Join Me

September 2nd: 1888

A painful shout awoke me that morning. After a moment of confusion mixed with a hint of concern,I sat up straight when I realised it was my Angel.

"Are you ok? Are you in pain? Where does it hurt?"

I continued rapidly asking her questions for a few minuets. She answered slowly while trying to catch her breath.

"What happened Jack?"

After a pause, I recounted the events of last night for her. Surprisingly, she seemed more concerned for myself than for her own injury. I do wish she would take care of herself it seems she is always putting herself in harms way.

I put my arm around the back of her shoulders and gently lowered her back down onto the bed. Even though she tried to resist it was clear that she had little strength and required more rest and medicine. It's about time I checked on her wound so I explained that I would.

Gently removing the bandage I reapplied medicine to her wound after cleaning the area. I kept sending her glances as I worked, every time she caught me she'd smile back. She was obviously in pain, but that did not hinder her smile at all.

It does seem strange to me that her entrance into my life left such an impression on my mind. I know that emotions are illogical, emotions can lead to dangerous situations. And yet, when she entered my life I was instantly aware of the danger in which I lay.

If the emotions I have for you, my Angel, then so be it. I will walk the path of danger for you.

"My Angel, please join me. I will promise to protect you from all danger. Help me to complete my mission, and I will help you with yours"

It seems I took her off guard. I don't want her to leave me after this occurrence. I never want to see her in pain ever again. I want to care for her, as one would a romantic partner.

"Jack. What do you mean your mission? What are you up to?"

Her voice was so soft, perhaps from pain? Or because she knew she might be approaching a painful topic. Either way, I am grateful for the softness in her voice, it has been so long since anyone had consideration for my emotions. Not since 'him'

I recounted my past with her, of my best friend with a doctors brain. How he was killed by a group of savage prostitutes. I told her about how we were out investigating a simple crime that took a turn for the worse. It should have been an easy crime to solve, and easy to remedy once the criminal was identified and caught. Yet, despite that I still lost my best friend in the whole world. The man who showed my what a friend is, and how wonderful companionship can be.

"It was then that I decided to kill them, my mission is revenge. My lost friend would frown on me so, yet I couldn't think of anything else. Instead of letting those witches kill more people, I decided to kill them first. To let them face my corrupted judgment."

I looked into your eyes, I could see my own convictions mirrored into yours. Is our mission similar, my dear? I wanted to know. No, I needed to know, for if someone hurt you I will make them pay. I enquired as to your mission, you were surprised by it, of course. Since you had never mentioned a mission to me, anyone would be surprised. I told you of my observations, how your eyes held determination, usually after a moment of inner-thought contemplation. After a moment of silence, you spoke softly still.

"My mother..um.. she... em...*caugh* she was... murdered"

I had thought so, I noticed that the first day I saw you Angel, mother or sister, if I remember correctly.

"She.. she couldn't afford to feed both me and.. and my baby sister"

Oh so there was a sister involved? Where is she now? why is she not with you Angel?

"Mother....had to fall to the worst of deeds to feed us"

No... Angel please don't tell me that your mother was a.....

You continued speaking while I was panicking and in doing so you answered my question.

"She became a prostitute"

Oh Angel I am so sorry, how can I even apologise to you?

All of my questions fell into place, your mother was a prostitute. In fact she was a prostitute that I killed.

"She had a box... do you remember it, Jack?"

A box? Angel, you can't mean that box?

"A box? Angel I am not quite sure which box you mean? Can I ask you to please elaborate?"

Perhaps my voice took a stern turn, since you eyes widened and you shrank back slightly. Of course that slight movement hurt you and you grimaced. I sent you a sorrowful glance, hoping it would pass as an apology.

"Pandora's Box, Jack. My mother had Pandora's Box"

My eyes widened, i was rendered speechless. That woman, I remember her well. So brave and fearless, even when she knew I was going to kill her. I remember her beauty, she must have passed it to you, my Angel.

I spent the next few hours apologising to my love. I then proposed an idea.

"Angel, perhaps you can consider this? Join me, help me kill the rest of those terrible women on my list. And I will let you complete your mission afterwards."

Now, I had certainly shocked you. A proposal to join me then letting you kill me afterwards. Yes, I am willing to risk my death for you and your happiness, my love.

"Jack, are you sure? You are so intelligent, you must realise that my mission... is to kill you"

Oh yes, I know what your mission is Angel. I am rather fond of the fact that you haven't killed me already.

"Please, Angel. Join me. Help me with my mission and in return, I shall help you with yours. I would wish for nothing more than for my final time on this earth to be spent with you. What do you say?"

You thought about it, I could see it in your eyes. That distinct look of contemplation, it's a rather attractive look on you, my dear.

After a moment, you gave your reply. A simple answer, a single word.

"Yes"

Thank you Angel.