Chapter 20

One of the footmen walked over to Holly," Lady Campton, his Grace has asked that you meet him in the center of the maze. His Grace has gone on ahead with Lord Chandler and will meet everyone at the entrance to start the race."

He bowed to her and Holly stiffled a giggle," Thank you." She then turned to Lindsay," Let's go, I am sure that we can find the center before they do."

Lindsay grinned" I know that we can both find the center easily, we have done it before."

Holly giggled " I remember exactly how to get to the center, I can't wait for the race to start."

Both girls caught sight of their gentlemen standing in front of the entrance of the maze. William's eyes met Holly's and she smiled at him. He smiled back, he also did something not every gentlemen would do. He blew her a kiss, and she blew one back. No one noticed except Lindsay, she thought it was cute.

At the sound of the gun, everyone ran into the maze. Lindsay was in first before Holly was. They passed couples that were making stops in the shadows. Holly was giggling and so was Lindsay, even though they had no clue what was actually going on in the shadows. Lindsay stumbled and was caught up in the arms of Lord Jason. She had found her man, Holly continued towards the center.

She had to push through lots of people this time, there was more here because of the wedding. She felt  an arm grab her, just for the gentleman to find out it wasn't the one he was looking for. Holly chuckled and continued on her current path. She saw the entrance to the center a few feet away from her, she felt excited. She was so close to seeing her soul mate just around the corner.

As she came around the corner and stepped just in between the hedges, she spotted him. She stopped and took in the moment of the sight of him with his back to her. She smiled " William."  She felt an arm come around her waist just as she said William's name and was yanked backwards. In the process she dropped the ring that her mother gave her.

A dirty rag was shoved into her mouth so that she couldn't scream. Then a head came down to her ear, " You won't be marrying the Duke's son tomorrow lass." Holly's eyes went wide with terror, and the sour breath reached her nose. The voice of the man who was holding her against her will whispered" because you won't be alive to be his bride."

Holly tried to struggle to free herself, but to no avail she was not strong enough to fight. She felt the tip of a knife in her side. The man sneered" now move and if you fight me, it will be your last breath."

Holly had no choice but to leave the maze in the shadows with this creep. She started to let the tears fall from her eyes, in her mind she thought " I love you William, please forgive me." The man was half dragging her away from the man she loved.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

" William."