38 | A Moment Too Late

Song: "Zam the Assassin and the Chase Through Coruscant" from Attack of the Clones OST

The Kaleesh system of governance was passed down from the Galactic Republic itself, from the days when Dooku was sided with the Kaleesh instead of planning to manipulate them. Prior to Bitthævria, the tribes had been completely independent, and Kalee had lacked a planetary government of any kind.

It was only when the perceived threat of Bitthævria had arisen that the Jedi Master Dooku and his Padawan, Qui-Gon Jinn, had come to Kalee and asked for their aid. They'd rallied the tribes to unity, instituting a government similar to a republic, but with room for dynastic tradition.

This government was made up of the tribal and planetary levels. On the tribal levels, two khans—one dynastic and one elected—would always sit on the throne of judgment. These two were responsible, ultimately, for governing a committee of one hundred senators.

It was before these senators that Ronderu would stand today. Before the Kharankhui Khanate.

"Hey, old-timer," Bent said in that good-natured Shonina drawl when she exited. "Finally decided to turn up."

She smiled beneath her mask. Then her friend, with a chuckle, stepped forward and encased her in a hug. "I knew you weren't planning to be a Jedi, Ronderu. Too rigid a job for someone like you."

She returned the hug briefly, and he set her down. "Flattered, but there were complications to it."

Bent smiled. "Well, perhaps you can tell me about those complications and the rest of the izvoshra. Welcome to Khetsuu's elite—we are at your service."

✺✺✺

She boarded the ship and sat with him in the cockpit. "I can't believe you'd restore me to my position," she said after a few minutes.

"Part of it's to knock some sense into Khetsuu," Bent said, his voice catching on the name. "If the whole planet knows you're alive, it'll force him to pay some better attention."

She nodded. "Why isn't he here?"

"Banking Clan won't let him come back to Kalee till they say. He's messaged me a couple times, told me he wasn't badly injured at Ord Mantell."

She looked down. "Why attack them? Do you really like this?"

He shook his head. "But Shia and Rón being alive is worth the pain. As well as our beloved Kalee," he added quickly.

"Worth innocent lives being lost?"

"Ronderu, the only lives lost in Ord Mantell were those of greedy, dishonest cheaters."

She tilted her head. The Republic had lied if that was the case."No civilian lives?"

"None intentionally taken. Collateral damage, I can't speak of. Magnas could've malfunctioned, caused more injuries than needed."

"Magnas?"

"IG-100 MagnaGuards," he said with a nod. "Built to fight Jedi by the Banking Clan. Khetsuu was smitten when he saw 'em. But one of them malfunctioned during the battle and zapped him good in the foot. Gave him a pretty nasty limp."

"Is he planning on going on more missions for them soon?"

"Once he's well again. Heard Muunilinst is their next target, but this job won't last forever. Khetsuu thinks he'll be back by next conclave—least, that's what they told him."

She gripped the seat. I can wait another year to see him. I've endured two already. "I do hope so."

✺✺✺