44 | Imposter

Song: "Krennic's Aspirations" from Rogue One OST

Her breath was caught in her throat. "Visual?"

"Escort ships bear a strange octagonal symbol—they're the spire sort of transport. Starfighter's a one-seater and devoid of any symbol." He paused. "All three're gunships. None carry life-forms."

Ronderu swallowed. Immense trembling gripped her. He's arrived.

"Let them pass," she said. "Make no hindrance. I know who it is they want."

"They're Separatist gunships?" a khan cried. "So you're with them?"

"I am not allied with any part of this war!" she shouted. "We will let the ships land and enter. Perhaps we can work out negotiations." Or 'aggressive negotiations'.

She stepped down from the podium, unwrapped Quemáy, and gave her to Bent. The enormous man clutched the child in a single hand. "Take her and Rón somewhere safe," she said. "I will meet you there."

By somewhere safe she meant the canyons. Underground, where the Krath droid and his soldiers hopefully didn't know they were there.

He nodded. "Be safe, my lady." He left the room, and she returned to her podium as if nothing had happened.

✺✺✺

Clanking footsteps resounded from outside. Of course they would have chosen the Kaleela spaceport—the one nearest to the hall, where all the Khaganate's ships were parked. "Nobody fire," she commanded the Khaganate. "If anyone has weapons, hide them immediately."

"We are not cowards, Your Grace," Mini pointed out.

"And neither are we fools. Conceal now."

The clanking grew louder. Flashing in her mind was the vision that had tormented her for so long: the Krath droid, its ugly face touching hers as it lifted her up by the neck; her mouth inhaling water, retching under its stony gaze.

A bead of sweat dripped down her neck as the clanking rose to a crescendo. And then....it stopped.

"Hold," she said to the Khaganate once more, balling a fist.

And two long blue beams of light seared a circle in that ancient wooden door.

✺✺✺

Ronderu counted eight beings as they stalked along the hall of Khaganate seats. Seven MagnaGuards—she had been right about Banking Clan involvement in the Separatist plot after all. But the creature whom they flanked....

She stood, hiding her hands in the pockets of her regalia. Please, Bent, get somewhere safe. Get my girls to the canyons.

It was two meters in height. Cruel metal talons screeched and clicked across the ornate floor like a thousand Yam'rii making a choir to mock her personally. Its hands were hidden, clasped behind its back. A long black cloak cascaded down his shoulders....

That bore the symbol of Kalee.

A large chest—hiding circuitry and wires, no doubt. The face was a mask, carved into the image of a mumuu skull. Two glowing orbs, sparkling yellow, looking straight at her. The khagan of Kalee. The only real threat.

She spoke in Basic, her ribcage colder than the vacuum of space. "What brings you to Kalee?"

An animalistic chuckle, one that had haunted her dreams for over a decade. The creature straightened as much as it could, then returned her words. "The war. Or were you not aware?"