Gryffindor

Summary
*A new, much desired friendship and maybe the beginning of the end of house rivalry.*

Gryffindor. It just had to be Gryffindor. Sure, as far as Draco could tell, the Potter boy had no clue regarding house rivalry. Well, he seemed to have no clue regarding the wizarding world in general. But Draco liked him. They spoke a lot in Madam Malkin's and on the train as well and he had hoped with all his heart the boy would get sorted into Slytherin with him.

But of course it had to be bloody Gryffindor. It wasn't just that Weasley seemed to hate him and tried to convince Harry not to spend time with a Malfoy, now they were also in different houses.

To hell with it, Draco thought as the messy haired boy took a seat at the Gryffindor table. 

The sorting was over soon after and the feast began. But Draco found he wasn't hungry. He was pushing his food around his plate, trying to concentrate on whatever Crabbe and Goyle and that Parkinson girl were saying, but failing miserably as he so often cast sad glances towards what he though was his newfound friend.

The people sitting around him kept throwing Draco dirty looks, but Harry was seemingly oblivious to it all. Not for long, Draco thought bitterly. He was sure it wouldn't be long until his head would be full of the old 'gotta hate the Slytherins' crap.

Draco did not touch his food for the rest of the feast.

***

When the feast was over, Draco wished he could have talked to Harry, but in the hoard of students and prefects shouting for the first years to follow them he couldn't reach him. He only caught sight of him once when he looked around the Great Hall just before exiting.

That night, Draco didn't sleep well, his dreams littered with black hair and green eyes, frowns and insults thrown at him. Harry was supposed to be his friend and now Weasley got his hand on him and was going to make sure Harry only saw him as Slytherin, Malfoy scum. He wanted to cry, but he wouldn't do that. He was a grown boy by now.

The next morning, he dragged himself out of bed with unusual difficulty, heart heavy with the prospect of seeing Harry again that day. He couldn't help but wonder what was going to happen and in what way was he going to get rejected.

Heaving a deep, sorrowful sigh, he exited his dorm and made his way towards the Great Hall alone. Crabbe and Goyle would no doubt be there already. He kept his eyes on the ground and a small frown firm on his forehead, head swimming in thoughts of the scrawny sick looking boy that's been occupying his thoughts ever since they met. He was woken from his reverie by a hand on his shoulder that spun him around on the spot and was surprised to be met with sparkling green eyes and a huge grin.

"Harry? What are you doing here?" He cast a look around and then: "Alone."

His heart was pounding painfully in his chest.

"I was looking for you, obviously! I didn't get to talk to you last night after the sorting. It was chaotic. Really good food they have here, right?" the boy talked cheerily, steering Draco down the hall towards breakfast.

The blond studied Harry again, took in his sickly looking appearance, and wondered with a strain of his heart where did this boy come from? Had he been taken care of?

"I s'ppose", he answered, still a bit concerned. Harry had yet to say something about the sorting.

"Shame we're not in the same house, though, isn't it?"

And Draco's heart promptly fell.

"Although, I guess, it's going to be interesting, knowing about other houses and such. Say, do you think we could visit each other in our common rooms?"

"Harry", Draco hesitantly said, stopping the boy from his path and forcing them face to face. "Do you not have a problem with me being in Slytherin?"

"Why would I?"

Bright green eyes watched him in confusion and Draco's heart did a little flip. He didn't allow himself to get his hopes up just yet, though.

"Didn't the others tell you that Slytherins are bad?"

"Well, yeah they did. But I don't know about that stuff and you're great, so I don't think they are right", Harry said as if it was no big deal, sporting a wide smile and Draco let out a breath he wasn't even aware he was holding.

"Good, that's good."

Harry grabbed Draco's hand in an attempt to catch his attention. All he did, though, was cause the boy's heart to leap out of his chest. "I like you, you're nice and they can't change my mind, okay?"

Draco nodded dumbly and Harry tugged him down the hall again.

"Uh, why are you holding my hand?" Not that it bothered him, it was just that tiny detail that his heart was beating so loudly it could echo from the walls.

"Does it bother you?" Harry asked worriedly, already loosening his grasp, but Draco was quick to squeeze a bit tighter and shake his head frantically.

"Okay then", said Harry, absolutely beaming, leading a very red Draco to the Great Hall. And from then on, they would be damned if they ever let go of each other's hands.