Harry Potter and The Seven Years He Didn't Notice Shit

×Part 1×

   Summary
*The whole school is in on it and Harry has no idea.*

If you asked the few people that didn't drool over Harry Potter's fame and good looks to describe him in one word, most of them would say oblivious without a second thought. Now then, of course, there were two people who would rather say he was observant only when he deemed the subject important enough, or rather, he was so fucking absorbed in watching every little detail about Malfoy that anything and everything else went right past him.

And people entertained that idea, oh and to what extent, but they didn't really believe it. It was too good to be true. Even though it was presented by two of the people who knew him best, well, Hermione was too invested in the idea for the students not to believe she was merely seeing things that weren't there and Ginny was known to have a wild imagination, and to spend a little too much time with Luna for her own good. And it is true that a person would go mad before they learn a new language.

Well, that's far from the point I was trying to make. Oblivious, right. That's how Harry Potter was seen and, well, at a certain extent, he damn well was as oblivious as it gets.

For, you see, somewhere in their first year, him and Draco were fighting, god even knows why, and there was this muggle fourth year Ravenclaw, bless him, that just suddenly decided they would look good together. And to Draco's utter shock and bewilderment, people around the kid agreed. And then the whole Ravenclaw house agreed. And then the whispers spread and you could see students from all years and all houses heading off to the Ravenclaw table to talk about Harry Potter's love interest which, by general agreement, seemed to be Draco.

It wasn't long until the whole school was in on the joke and Draco, contrary to his initial surprise, was growing angry. He would bet his hands that everyone was just making fun of them.

"This is just ridiculous!" he raged once, sometime between first year's Christmas and Easter holidays in the Slytherin common room. "Me and Potter. Has the whole school gone mad or are you all just finding it this funny?"

He was pacing restlessly in front of the fire, a clueless pair of idiots, specifically, Crabbe and Goyle, watching him in confusion from the couch.

"Goyle, can you believe this?"

The boy, clearly distressed at having the attention drawn to him when he clearly understood none of what was being discussed, fussed about and tried to find something to say and Draco could not believe he had such idiots for friends.

That's when Pansy Parkinson quipped in, also being the first time the two of them ever talked.

"What's so hard to believe?" she had asked. "You two would look good together. All the older years say!" Because what would an eleven year old child know about relationships.

Draco had merely rolled his eyes, but from then on, he and Pansy became friends. He was finally happy to have someone with more than just half a brain cell to talk to.

Before their first year was over, literally the whole school was part of the unofficial drarry fan club with the unofficial leaders being the Ravenclaws. They didn't have meetings or cliche things of the sort, no. It was just regular gossip for regular teenagers. And sometimes, if presented with the opportunity, a little accidental push from the back into each other was in order.

And yes, you guessed it right, Harry Potter had no clue whatsoever of any of this going on around him.

You would think it would have died down over the summer and into second year, but no. The only thing that had changed, if only slightly, was Draco's reaction to it. It didn't bother him as much, he came to think of it as funny, even, and that might have been Pansy's influence, just a little bit. He sometimes even started fights with Potter for the sole reason that he found it rather amusing, how people suddenly stopped everything they did and listened intently on what the two said. And then there was the Parsletongue incident, which stirred something inside Draco that he couldn't quite place his finger on.

Harry was still oblivious, but very bothered by the fact that all he ever did with Draco was fight. He started wishing he had taken his hand in first year.

Third year was no different, either. The students still observed and listened to the point it became uncomfortable. Only now, Draco was thirteen and he sometimes had spots on his face and Blaise and Nott talked about things he most certainly wouldn't have learnt from home and he started thinking of weird things at night in bed. That was when he started seeing Potter in a slightly different light. There was also this story about the madman that was Black escaping Azkaban just to kill Harry, which made him slightly uneasy.

Harry was now trying to produce a Patronus and maybe wasn't that surprised when the first memory he thought of was one of flying with Draco.

Fourth year was slightly different. At first, the students didn't let the excitement that came with the announcement of the Triwizard tournament to keep them from their duties to the soon-to-be-couple for long. By now, Draco found it a pain in the arse. It actually hurt him to have people all around him root for something he wished for, yet knew would never have.

But then the incident with the Goblet of Fire and all the fuss with the bitch that was Rita Skeeter occured and it drove the students angry at The Boy Who Lived. Draco found it rather infuriating. How could anyone think of Potter in such ways?

And even when Ron was upset, Harry found himself wishing Draco would be the one to believe him. Little did he know.

Then along came fifth, sixth and the utter horror that was the seventh year along with the war and bloodshed and loss and you'd think people would have better things to worry about rather than a stupid ship. But then, when the cold voice pierced through with the words no one wanted to hear, Harry Potter is dead, every student unconsciously looked at Draco who, tried as he could, was not able to hide the pain on his face. And then, Voldemort's body hit the floor in the Great Hall and there was Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived, the Chosen One and now the fucking saviour of the wizarding world, standing alone and lost and broken in such a big crowd of people, and those who knew him found that a little part of themselves wished for Draco to be standing with him. And Draco wanted to run to him and hug him and damn well never let go of him, just like Harry felt like falling and only wished for a certain pair of arms to catch him.

Draco could see the pitiful looks some students gave him as he was being dragged away by his parents and he fucking hated it.

And Harry Potter was still oblivious.