Just a Smile

Summary
*Harry Potter was staring at the sight with wide eyes and a thudding heart, convinced that something like that should not be allowed. Draco Malfoy should not be allowed to smile.*

Harry Potter was staring at the sight with wide eyes and a thudding heart, convinced that something like that should not be allowed. Draco Malfoy was the kind of person that only ever sneered and scowled as though he permanently had a bitter taste in his mouth. Harry suspected he actually held a piece of lemon under his tongue at all times, just to be sure there wouldn't be a moment when he would not be glaring at everyone around him because yes, Draco Malfoy is also that kind of person.

And when he smiled, it was mocking or sarcastic, never genuine and nice. So now, when his lips stretched all the way, all the creases in his forehead smoothing out, making way for those around his eyes and the most beautiful sound escaped him as he laughed, Harry was sure that, yes, this should be illegal.

Because his heart was hammering in his chest and his cheeks were flushed and he was suddenly compelled by the urge to kiss the smile on the blond's face and oh my god Draco Malfoy was adorable when he smiled.

"Harry?"

And right now, Harry Potter wanted to stitch Hermione's mouth shut because he looked away for just a second and the smile was gone.

"What?" he snapped at his friend, who threw him an unimpressed look and leaned closer to him.

"You're staring at Malfoy again. Please do not tell me you have some kind of theory that now he's trying to bring Voldemort back?"

"That's unfair of you. I was right the whole time in sixth year."

He tried to avoid answering the question. Hermione always had this nasty talent of reading him as if he was another runes book just waiting to be discovered. Sometimes he really appreciated it, other times he wanted to hide from her forever. Like right now.

"You haven't answered my question, though."

"What do you want me to say, 'Mione? You know I don't think he's some evil mastermind and you also know I don't think he deserves the way he's being treated. I testified for him, for fuck's sake."

But his friend did not allow herself to be fooled by such pretty words.

"But you've been staring at him."

"No. I was looking in his general direction."

"For ten minutes straight?"

"Lost in thought."

"Harry!"

"Hermione?"

"Don't play dumb", the girl snapped, keeping her voice low still, not wanting to let Ron in on that discussion until she was certain she knew what was being discussed.

"Giving a valid explanation is called playing dumb?"

Hermione hated that raised eyebrow her friend sported from time to time and the air of superiority it gave him, unbeknownst to him. She also hated how he was so smart but did not seem keen to use that important trait of his unless it was to win some petty argument or when his life was in imminent danger, rather than put his mind to work in school to study for his N.E.W.Ts.

"You did not give me a valid explanation. You've been staring at him ever since school started. That's a week and a half now", she reminded.

"And you would only know that if you've been staring at me and I don't think you believe me to be plotting the annihilation of all non-magical folk."