Chapter Twenty

"Trick or treat," Percy murmured into Annabeth's ear before slowly wrapping an arm around her. "Good morning."

Annabeth groaned before rolling over. "What time is it?"

"Six thirty," Percy replied as he whipped back his covers before leaping out of bed.

"This is a trick!" Annabeth said accusingly before heaving herself out of bed. "Is it really Halloween?"

Percy shrugged. "If not our calendar is lying to us."

"I can't believe it," Annabeth responded. "We haven't even bought candy yet!"

"Today's a Saturday, so we have all day to that kind of stuff," Percy assured her. "We'll stop at the store on the way home."

Annabeth raised her eyebrows at him. "On the way home from where exactly?"

Percy sighed and smiled mischievously at Annabeth as he navigated the room. "Well, you see, on Halloween there's a tradition to dress up in costume."

"Really?" Annabeth asked nervously. "I-I wasn't aware."

"Wow, you not being aware? The daughter of Athena not being prepared?!" Percy mocked. "Unheard of. Maybe now that you've heard of it you'd love to participate in it."

Annabeth fakely smiled sweetly before pulling Percy into a light kiss on the cheek. "It's actually starting to ring a bell, so there's no need anymore."

"Mmm, well too late," Percy murmured. "Now get ready. I'll have breakfast waiting for you before we go out to the costume store."

Annabeth mumbled cursed under her breath before heading to the bathroom and starting the shower, deciding that arguing with Percy here was pointless.

Every year Percy made Annabeth wear part of a ridiculous couples costume. Last year they were salt and pepper. The year before, a witch and her cat (don't ask who was who).

It was just a simple fact of Annabeth's life now, and she accepted it. Sure it bugged her, but it had kind of grown on her over the years. Of course, that was something she would never admit to him.

After she finished washing up and getting dressed, she headed out to the kitchen where a pristine plate of blue pancakes sat waiting for her on her counter.

Across from them stood her husband, covered in grease, food dye, and pancake crumbs. Annabeth laughed when she saw the sight of him.

"S-sorry," she said with a snort. "It's just, you look so cute....thanks for the breakfast."

Percy smiled, clearly please with her reaction. He sat next to her and dug into his slightly burnt pancakes.

After a few moments of silence and chewing, both were done and ready to leave.

"Bring a coat," Annabeth told Percy as they headed out the door, the immediate coolness of the hallway making her shiver.

Percy groaned. "I will, mom."

As they headed to the street Percy slipped his warm hand into Annabeth's cold one, smiling vaguely at how they completed each other.

After they arrived, Annabeth realized how serious Percy was this year. He immediately rushed into the store and staring peering up and down the aisles, a scowl on his face.

"All the good costumes are gone, Annabeth!" Percy cried anxiously. "I knew we should've gone earlier. I just thought you'd hide them on me or throw them out, or-"

Annabeth laughed before pulling Percy into a faint kiss. "Don't worry, Perce. We can head over to a thrift store or something."

"But there's nothing there," Percy complained, his lip curled in disbelief and disappointment.