Tomorrow

Merlin drifted in his dreams. Half aware that it was a dangerous thing to do. Dreaming meant memories more often than the imagined. Tonight was no different. It started with laughter at least, the beginning of a nice build-up for the bad that Merlin knew was coming.

Merlin!" Louise screamed in joy, her body shaking with her happiness. Merlin had picked her up, sweeping her off of her feet to carry her bridal style. They had been married for two years already but the romance had never died as they settled.

"I cannot help it, my love," Merlin whispered, settling her down on the blanket where they were having a picnic. Merlin kissed her, slow and passionate, Louise giggled when Merlin moved to kiss her nose, her cheek, her throat. It was behind her ear that always made her gasp for breath, the sensitive spot making her laugh more.

"Merlin!" Her voice changed, turning reprimanding as Merlin attempted to kiss lower and lower.

"I cannot show my appreciation for my wife?" Merlin questioned, body coming back up to press his lips back up to hers. She groaned but, Merlin noted that she did so reluctantly, shoved him back on his haunches.

"Fine, will you at least dance with me?" Merlin pouted, holding his hand out for her to take.

"That's better," she said, smirking as she took his hand. Merlin knew his eyes were dilated but she had fun in making him wait and truly Merlin didn't mind. Merlin turned on the radio, using magic as the power source instead of electricity. He found a slow song on and pulled his wife close. His hands low on her hips while Louise had her own around his neck, gently swaying and laying her head on his shoulder. This was what Merlin lived for, these quiet moments.

They had only finished the song when the radio called to interrupt their broadcasting.

"This morning the British Ambassador in Berlin handed the German Government a final Note stating that, unless we heard from them by 11 o'clock that they were prepared at once to withdraw their troops from Poland, a state of war would exist between us.

I have to tell you now that no such undertaking has been received, and that consequently, this country is at war with Germany..."

Merlin's world stopped spinning, he was frozen in place, the rest of the Prime Minister's speech drowned out by his heart beating out of his chest. Another war, they had barely recovered from the last one. Merlin had of course been keeping track of the defeated nations since the end of The Great War but not closely enough apparently.

"Mer... rli...Merli...Merlin!" Louise's voice cut through his panic. In a second he was in her arms, silent tears wracking his body. He had endured The Great War, knew the horrors that man could bring through his long life but just twenty years later and with the visions Merlin had gotten he knew this one would be worse. Merlin had lost it in front of his wife, but he did not care; he was too old to care about putting on a brave face when he did not have to. She knew he was immortal but she was only a child when The Great War had ended and even if she wasn't she would not have been on the front lines. She would not understand. But she would, Merlin wished she could never.

"Merlin, talk to me," she sounded worried and Merlin reluctantly pulled away from her embrace.

"My visions, they are coming true," Louise was silent, her hand over her mouth.

"I am coming with you. They must allow some women surely," she reasoned and it was true Merlin had seen thousands of women working in factories and on farms to help provide food and weapons for their husbands, brothers, sons.

"You know I want nothing more than for you to be safe," Louise opened her mouth as if to protest but Merlin cut her off. "But I know I cannot keep you from helping," Merlin sighed, his hand coming to rest on her cheek. He closed his eyes as he pressed his forehead to hers, savoring her being close to him.