Dead Man

Harry sat dumbstruck, mouth gaping as Ron paced, looking frantically between him and Hermione. Professor Emrys sat quietly in a corner by the window and Draco sitting impassively in the wingback chair. It was late, late enough to be the only ones awake in the Gryffindor common room.

"You can't be serious?!" Harry asked in desperation. Ron looking back and forth between Draco, Emrys, and Harry, obviously looking for help from the other two. Giving up, Ron nodded and Harry felt the air forcibly leave him lungs.

"Did everyone know but me?" Harry demanded.

"No, Harry," Emrys said as he made his way to Harry's side, crouching beside his legs. It made Harry want to pull his legs away from the man he had trusted, but he stayed still. "Ron found out by accident, he didn't want to keep it from you and asked if he could tell you. I didn't mean to keep who I am a secret for so long. To be honest, I thought Miss Granger would have figured it out before now," Harry had to snort and found himself looking at his professor's eyes. They spoke of how sorry he was, there wasn't any pity and Harry found himself believing him.

"I had my suspicions that you weren't who you said you were, but I didn't think you would actually be Merlin ," Hermione says, drawing attention back to her which Harry is grateful for.

"Yes, well...I've had a lot of practice in diverting attention from where I don't want it," he says, shrugging his shoulders.

"And, Malfoy?" Harry asks, curiosity getting the better of him.

"I told him, during the holiday," Merlin says, looking embarrassed as he rubs the back of his neck. Harry can't find it in himself to be angry. He's so tired of feeling angry and just wished the threat of death that loomed over would just go away.

"I'll answer any questions that you have...within reason," Merlin said, shooting Ron a pointed look, having the Weasley look away sheepishly. Harry could only guess the type of questions Ron had asked.

The only thing was Harry didn't have questions or at least he didn't know which one to start with first. He happily let Hermione ask, her getting answers for some of his own questions. He has to wonder about how easily he accepted the Professor's word as the truth. Had he subconsciously been aware of his Defense teacher being the greatest sorcerer to ever live or will live? What Harry wanted to know was why now? Why not come before his parents were murdered? Did he not think that stopping him was worth his time before, but now that he's back that he was? The anger came back in a flash, even though he didn't want it to. He could be living with his parents instead of being stuck with his Aunt and Uncle and cousin, Sirius would have never had to go to Azkaban and would have been free. Not stuck hiding in the childhood home that he despises.

"Why come here now?" Harry blurted out, unable to keep his anger in check and out of his accusation.

"Harry," Merlin sighs, looking much older than before and Harry wonders how they had never figured it out before. "I wanted to help, I really did, but the Triple Goddess would not let me interfere, Harry. Do you understand? I cannot defy someone else's fate that is intertwined with prophecy and destiny. We are all bound by something, whether we want to be or not. If I could have, I would much rather your parents be alive with you, but I am not a god, I am a man who can and have made mistakes, Harry," seeming to know exactly where Harry's thought process went. And maybe he did, Harry wasn't exactly in the right headspace to prevent the professor from getting in his head.

Harry nodded, air stuck in his throat so he couldn't talk. The anger left just as abruptly as it came, his shoulders drooping in defeat.

"I am sorry, Harry. I know it doesn't mean much, but I am," Merlin says getting up to leave. Harry doesn't know if he wants him too, but he also does not want him to stay either. Quickly, before he can change his mind he grabs Merlin's wrist, pulling the lanky man in for a quick hug. It's over before the Professor has time to blink, but for a split second, Harry feels safe in the man's presence. Merlin clears his throat, nodding to the teens before swiftly exiting the portrait hole, presumably making for his own chambers.