HogsHead

Sorry in advance for the POV type whiplash working on changing to third person. I realized how much I disliked other people writing in first to the point I skip it most of the time.
Hope you enjoy and thoughts on the switch

Merlin headed to the Hogshead the next day after petitioning Umbridge with the trio. He was quite curious as to her response. His train of thought halted as a blast of warm air hit his face. He hated winter for the drastic changes in temperature, going in and out of buildings. He closed the door behind him to be greeted by Harry, Ron, and Hermione around a dust coated table.

The Hogshead tavern was filthy, reminding him of Gwaine as he recalled he had said some of the worst taverns were the dirtiest and attracted the worst sort of people. No one was there and he didn't know if that was stupid or smart. No crowds meant is was easier to be overheard but a busy location tended to have more ears. Making up his mind, he mumbled a few silencing charms and a quick ward to alert him of any trespassers.

The door opened soon after he finished and people steadily poured in. Fred and George has ordered a Butterbeer for everyone, but Merlin opted out as he watched the bartender grab a dirty rag, it looked like it had never been washed, and quickly wiped glasses before filling them with Butterbeer.

Hermione took a sip of hers, holding it in her mouth and as discreetly as possible put it back in the cup. Merlin hid a small smirk, one must never laugh at the expense of a student.

Draco was the last to enter having many people glare in his direction. He scowled back before sitting next to Merlin, Hermione on his other side.

"What's he doing here?" Ron scowled.

"I was invited Weasley," Draco answered, tone only slightly mocking.

"Mr.Weasley, if you have nothing nice to say, keep it to yourself," Merlin admonished. Ron colored slightly, embarrassed rather than angry, Merlin didn't know. Hermione stood, awkwardly clearing her throat before beginning to speak.

"Er...well,uh, hi," Hermione said nerves getting the best of her. She took a death breath, exhaling slowly and tried again.

"Well ... erm ... well, you know why you're here. Erm ... well, Harry here had the idea--I mean", Harry threw her a sharp look, "I had the idea--that it might be good if people who wanted to study Defence Against the Dark Arts--and I mean, really study it, you know, not the rubbish that Umbridge is doing with us-- because nobody could call that Defence Against the Dark arts. Well, I thought it would be good if we, well, took matters into our own hands."

She paused, looked sideways at Harry and went on, "And by that I mean learning how to defend ourselves properly, not just in theory but doing the real spells--"

"You want to pass your Defence Against the Dark Arts OWL too, though, I bet?" said Michael Corner, who was watching her closely.

"Of course I do," said Hermione at once. "But more than that, I want to be properly trained in defence because ... because ..." she took a great breath and finished, "because Lord Voldemort is back."

The reaction was immediate and predictable. Cho's friend shrieked and slopped Butterbeer down herself; Terry Boot gave a kind of involuntary twitch; Padma Patil shuddered, and Neville gave an odd yelp that he managed to turn into a cough. All of them, however, looked fixedly, even eagerly, at Harry.

"Well ... that's the plan, anyway," said Hermione. "If you want to join us, we need to decide how we're going to--"

"Where's the proof You-Know-Who's back?'" said the blond Hufflepuff player in a rather aggressive voice.

"Well, Dumbledore believes it--" Hermione began.

"You mean, Dumbledore believes him," said the blond boy, nodding at Harry. Merlin eyes Harry himself and he looked about to explode. Merlin got up from his chair, gaining the attention of everyone. Many paled, having forgotten that he was there.

"Honestly, you should not believe what the ministry tells you," Merlin calmly started, and out of the corner of his eye he saw Harry shoot his a thankful smile.

"And why not. I heard you donate to the ministry," the Hufflepuff player accused.

Merlin sighed but answered,"I donate because I can control a large majority that happens in the ministry with money. And as for why, fear is a powerful motivator and the minister is full of it. They control the press, the leakage, the rules, they are the government, and government tends to want to control everything. So, I donate. I sway decisions to be based out of fact instead of emotions," Merlin finished to a silent room. Harry clapped, prompting the others to slowly join. Merlin sat and let Hermione continue. She nodded, cleared her throat and began again.

"I know you probably came here to hear Harry's take on what he went through, but it isn't your business. If you would like to properly learn you can stay anyone else can leave," when no one left Hermione let out a breath and began telling them what they would have to do to get the club running.

"We need to work out how we're going to do it, how often we're going to meet and where we're going to practice. And this all depends on what Umbridge decides to allow," Hermione let's Merlin take over by producing a sheet of parchment and jotting down all requirements. Hermione asking for suggestions leads to shouts of quidditch practice interfering, and Hermione snapping that they would work it out.

Next, ended up being where to practice sense it wouldn't do well to be out in the open with Umbridge about. Ideas were shot out rapidly, each quickly turned down.

"What about the room of requirement," Draco piped up. Truthfully, Merlin was going to suggest it but Draco beat him to it.

"I didn't think it existed," Hermione breathes aloud. Draco nodded.

"Yeah, found it my second year, I go to get away," Draco admitted and Merlin put a hand on his shoulder which Draco turned to give a grateful smile. He returned it.

"Alright," Hermione agreed. "I'll send a message once we had a time and the directions to the room," Hermione hesitates before biting her lip and bringing a scroll of parchment out,"I think we should sign, we can't have Umbridge finding out," she passed the scroll to Fred who quickly signed it. Others seemed more hesitant but quickly agreed after Hermione impatiently snapped at a prefect worried about it being seen.

Everyone went there separate ways after, leaving Merlin, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Draco.

"That went well," Hermione sighed, but had a small smile on her face. Ron nodded along.

"So, where is the room?" Harry asked.

"The seventh floor, you know the painting with Barnabas the barmy?" Draco questioned.

"The one where he tries to teach trolls ballet?" Hermione asked. Draco nodded,

"Yeah, it's just across from there,"

"But it's just a wall?" Hermione thought.

"Miss Granger you should know by now, not everything is as it seems," Merlin gently reminded. Hermione nodded, coloring slightly.

"Then how do you access it?" She asked, curious little flower that she is.

"Simply, walk past it three times and think about what you need," Draco explains, finally leaving the dingy tavern behind to the fresh air of November.

Hermione seemed fascinated and Draco and her walked a little bit farther ahead, discussing theories about the room.

"Did you know about it, Professor?" Ron asks.

Merlin nods, "Of course, everyone good sleuth finds everything unseen
to the normal person. Only the ones willing to look find what they need," Merlin spoke, having fun watching Ron and Harry exchange puzzled looks, "good day," Merlin called, leaving the foursome behind and entering the three broomsticks for some much needed fire whiskey.