Meeting

Umbridge said no of course, that...that... Merlin didn't know what to call her. Running out of insults for that vile woman was not a good thing, especially when the year wasn't even halfway over. Merlin always had an insult ready, quick as a viper, but he supposed his best insults went to Arthur.

That's besides the point, shaking his head to get rid of the thoughts that would surely spiral.  Umbridge had said no to the club, but it doesn't really stop them from anything, more of a nuisance really. She took up the whole week, so the kids only had a week before they went on holiday, which would be used to finalize everything, they wouldn't get to actually practice.

He supposed it would be easier to settle after the holiday than before, as they would have only got a routine a day before they left. Still, that woman had to make everything a thousand times harder, but it was just his luck, and probably Harry's too. Too much bad luck in one small space tended not to go well.

Merlin made sure to show the toad that it didn't bother him that she rejected it, meaning no scowling whenever she walked past, which was a lot more than it used too. He would almost think she had a crush if her smug smile didn't tell him otherwise, it made it increasingly difficult not to bare his teeth at her.

That walrus...

He'll come up with something eventually.

Sighing, he made his way to the room of requirement. A door formed as he crossed the hall instantly recognising him. The door was ornate and old, iron spiralling in intricate designs against the deep brown of the walnut. Merlin brushed his fingers lightly over the door, following the pattern until he reached the handle of polished silver; opening it.

The room was large, with multiple sofas and a chaise beside the lit stone fireplace, a frayed red rug, well loved, and bookshelves surrounding it. Merlin kept the tears in his eyes, refusing to let them fall. This had been Salazar's favorite place, having given the idea for the room in the first place. Merlin would always regret Salazar's legacy to be tainted by hate. The opposite was true, but he had been burned one too many times before Merlin had found him, leaving him far less trusting than his adopted siblings. Salazar, similar to Rowena loved to learn, tending towards potions and creating spells than everything he could get his hands on like Rowena.

He reverently sat on the chaise that he remembered reading with Salazar between his legs, head on his stomach, Rowena on the sofa next to it, along with Helga, and Godric on the floor. He loved his children dearly, almost as much as Arthur, maybe more, he didn't quite know, refused to think about it. He let a single tear out before quickly standing, brushing it off and swept out of the room. He put his forehead on the cool stone to compose himself, Hogwarts held too many memories, both of his children and his time in Camelot, it was a blessing and a curse.

"Are you alright, professor?" A voice asked and Merlin whipped around to find Draco. His shoulders slumped in relief and took a shaky breath.

"I will be, thank you," Draco looked unconvinced but let it go as other people started arriving. Merlin looked to the wall to see that the door had changed, to one less detailed, simple oak with a brass handle. Merlin walked in the room for a second time, after everyone else. The walls were lined with wooden bookcases and instead of chairs there were large silk cushions on the floor. A set of shelves at the far end of the room carried a range of instruments such as Sneakoscopes, Secrecy Sensors and a large, cracked Foe-Glass that had hung, the previous year, in the fake Moody's office.

Merlin watched as everyone settled on a cushion, letting the trio handle it. Harry glanced his way, probably for reassurance and he gave a smile and a nod. Harry took a deep breath and gathered everyone's attention.