Chapter Ten

Ivy arrived at Alex's hotel, a million questions on her mind. Still wondering what it was he wanted to talk about, and vaguely wondering if he was going to ask her about it tonight.

She was so wrapped up in her thoughts she didn't even see him come to his door, grinning ear to ear, and immediately embracing her in a hug as she walked through the door. She giggled, shutting the door behind her, following Alex to the bed.

"Hey, can I talk to you about something?" He blurted out before he chickened out.

"Of course" Ivy said almost too quickly.

"I've been thinking," he began, wondering how he was going to word this. "About us"

"What about us?" Ivy asked.

"About the future and stuff" he mumbled quietly, and her eyes went wide. This was what he wanted to talk to her about; and it was a subject she wasn't sure she was even ready to talk about; not yet, anyway.

"What about the future?" She has to ask, as he had gone silent after muttering the words.

"Well, the finals are tomorrow, and after that it's back home... eventually, back to the states to train and get ready for another season" he rattled off, and she nodded, not really understanding the point of his words.

"Well of course, but what does that have to do with...?"

"What does that mean for us?" He interrupted her. "You'll be here, I'll be in the same continent for awhile, but then we'll be across the world" he looked at her with a seriousness in his eyes she hadn't seen from him before.

"Lots of ways to still keep in touch" she replied softly, now understanding where he was going with this, and not at all ready to give him and answer.

"I know, but I'll want to see you" Alex whispered, feeling even more nervous than he had in a long time.

"I'll want to see you, too" Ivy affirmed, and Alex smiled ever so slightly.

"So I guess what I'm asking is, I'd like you to come to Columbus at some point during the season for a visit" he asked, and her eyes went wide.

"I- what?" Ivy asked, prepared for what he was going to stay but still surprised nonetheless. "You want me to come to Columbus?" She squeaked out.

"Yeah, I do" he spoke softly and carefully. "I know we've only known each other for a little while, but Ivy I feel with you something I've never felt with anyone else. You're so easy going, fun to talk to, we have so much fun together, you're beautiful..." he trailed off and she blushed at his kind words. "Girls like you don't come around often, and I don't think I'm ready to lose you"

The room was silent, as Ivy debated with herself internally. She was having the time of her life, being with Alex. There was something about him too that she was immediately drawn to, something she just couldn't explain. The prospect of visiting Columbus was all well and good, but she knew it wouldn't stop there. She wouldn't be able to afford regular visits, and during the season he didn't have a whole lot of down time, especially to come all the way to Slovakia to pay her a visit.

Even if she were to go to Columbus, even once, what next? She wasn't sure she would be able to deal with the heart break; but she wasn't ready to lose him either.

"I- I don't know what to say" she finally managed to find her voice.

"Yes, hopefully" Alex laughed nervously, and Ivy chuckled awkwardly.

"I'm not ready to lose you either, I've been having such a great time hanging out and being with you lately, and I'm sad tomorrow is the end of the tournament" she frowned, not sure where she was going with her speech. "You're an incredible guy, Alex. You're sweet, thoughtful, funny, charming, and an amazing guy to be around. You crack jokes when I need to hear them, but listen when I need someone to talk to" she continued on, Alex cracking a small smile.

"I just don't know if I'm ready" she spoke the last few words, and Alex's world seemed to come to a full stop.

"Not ready?" He asked, a little hurt and confused.

"I'm afraid of getting hurt. I'm afraid of this not working. I'm afraid" she kept repeating, knowing she was hurting him with each word she spoke.

"If you don't come, then what does that mean?" Alex asked, wondering if this was the end of the road, and wondering if he should have said anything at all.

"It doesn't have to mean the end" Ivy told him calmly. "I don't want it to be" she added the last part quietly.

"Then why don't you come?" Alex asked again, not accepting her previous answer.

"I'm not saying no, I just- I need time to think about it" Ivy decided on saying. It was the truth; it was a lot of information for her to process. How could she handle being in a cross the world relationship? How could she handle only being able to see him on TV? Wondering constantly if he was okay? Or wondering when the next time she would be able to see him, for longer than a few days.

"What's there to think about?" Alex asked, slightly agitated, though he tried to be as understanding as he could.

"There's a lot to think about, Alex" she almost snapped, but spoke calmly. "I just ask that you let me think about it" she repeated and he finally sighed, taking the seat next to her on the bed.

"Okay" he whispered, trying to keep the hurt he felt out of his voice. Thanks a lot William he thought to himself, as he put an arm around her. She rested her head on his shoulder, fighting the urge to cry. There was no doubt she could see herself falling in love with this man, but what was stopping her?