Chapter 1: Captured (Marie)

I woke up in a prison cell just as two Octolings walked over. Without saying anything, they opened the door and pulled me out. I tried to fight back, but it was no use. They dragged me all the way to a lab-type room with a chair in the middle. The Octolings put me into the chair and strapped me down. I struggled, but it was still no use. Then DJ Octavio walked over, and I glared at him. Beside him was an Octoling scientist, holding a pair of glasses in his hands. The scientist handed the glasses over to Octavio.

"These will do what I want them to do, right?" Octavio asked, slightly impatient. 

"Yes," the scientist responded. "We made sure of it."

What are the glasses for?

"Well then," Octavio said. "I think it's time to start the brainwashing process."

Brainwashing?! I almost fainted when he said that word. I looked up and saw the scientist pressing a button on a control panel, and the glasses lit up. They looked like the ones the Octolings have, but not as dark. They also had some dull LEDs on them. And unfortunately, they were for me.

"You can put them on now Octavio," the scientist said. 

"Good," Octavio said and held up the glasses. Then he spoke to me. "Behold, Marie, the hypnoshades. The very device that we will use to brainwash you."

I didn't react and just gave Octavio a blank stare.

"The very device that will make you turn against your loved ones," Octavio said. "Especially Callie."

I felt my heart drop when he said that. I hadn't even thought of Callie. Being forced to work for Octavio is bad enough, but what would Callie think if she saw me? I held in tears, waiting for Octavio to say something again.

"Maybe we'll have some fun with that," Octavio laughed cruelly. "We could have you kill her even. Now that would be quite a betrayal, wouldn't it?"

I couldn't hold the tears back any longer. Octavio would be the one to make me kill Callie. He would make me do it and I would show no remorse because of those stupid shades. And I couldn't do anything to stop it.

"Um, sir," said the scientist. "You can put them on now."

"Yes, I know," said Octavio. "I can have a little fun with my victim, can't I?"

The scientist gulped. "Y-yes, sir. You can."

"Well I'm done with my fun anyways," Octavio smirked. "We'll have plenty of fun once she's brainwashed."

Octavio looked back at me and slowly slid them into my face. I tried to resist but realized that the chair was designed to hold my head in place.

"No..." I said before slipped out of consciousness.