Chapter 2: The New Marie (Marie)

When I woke up again, I was in a bedroom, supposedly mine. Octavio and two Octolings were by me.

"How are you feeling, Marie?" Octavio asked. 

"Uh, fine, I guess," I responded.

"Do you remember anything?" Octavio asked.

"I mean, my memory's a little hazy," I said, feeling a sense of amnesia. "So I don't really remember anything recent."

"Well you and Callie got into a fight," Octavio said. "She... She almost killed you. One of my Octolings saw this and reported it to me, so I sent a squad of my best troops to save you. They rescued you, but not before Callie killed a few of them."

"Callie... almost killed me?" I asked, surprised. "That doesn't sound like her. Why were we fighting?"

"Well, thinking back to it, I wouldn't even call it a fight," Octavio said. "It was more of Callie beating up on you. It seemed pretty unprovoked. She just wanted to... kill you, I guess."

Callie wanted to kill me? I don't remember doing anything wrong to her.

"I understand if you feel betrayed," Octavio said caringly. "I understand if you want revenge."

"I-I need some time to think," I said.

"You can have all the time you need," Octavio replied. "Guards, you can go."

The Octolings left with Octavio following behind, which left me alone.

I didn't know what to think. Callie had never been mean to be, and definitely never wanted to kill me. Maybe she was planning to kill me for years, and she just hid it really well. Maybe there was a video of her beating me up. I wanted to see what happened. Octavio said that Callie just beat up on me unprovoked. Did I not have a weapon to defend myself? It might've been late. Maybe I was coming home from somewhere. I don't know. I'd like to see the tapes so I know what happened.

But in the meantime, I'd have to get used to living here. I'd assume it's some Octarian base. Wait a minute, the Octarians are evil. Callie and I fought them two years ago! But they weren't evil to me. They saved me. Maybe we were wrong to fight the Octarians. That thought made me question who were friends and who were foes. It made my head hurt.