Chapter 6

(X's POV)

          I made my way up the stairs to his office as slowly as I could. Was it about me being late? Was it because I taught the others a trick in the kitchen line? I reached his office and opened the door, peeking inside. "You wanted to see me, Chef?"

          "Yes, yes, please take a seat." He said, not looking up because he was perusing through the reservations. I sit down opposite him, worrying my bottom lip. He finally looks up and chuckles. "What are you worrying about?"

          "I'm waiting for you to berate me for being late this morning." I tell him honestly.

          Gordon laughs and stands up, circles to the front of the desk. He leans on it, and crossing his arms over his chest. My eyes were drawn to his biceps under the chef's jacket and I quickly averted them when I realized I've been taking too long. "Why were you late then, Miss Cassandra?"

          I groaned and roll my eyes. "I told you, Chef! I hate that name!" I say that, but in all honesty, I liked the way my named rolled off his tongue.

           "Then why were you late?"

          "Fine!" I look down at my lap, looking like I was getting a scolding from Chef Ramsay. "Joe Bastianich sent me a bottle of his finest wine, and well," I giggled uncontrollably. "It was a very good bottle of wine!"

          Chef Gordon moved suddenly, gripping both the arm rests of my seat. He leaned in until his face was a few inches from mine. "Really? Joe Bastianich?"

         I blinked, startled at the sudden closeness. "Uh... um... yes." He stared intensely into me. "A-and good wine." I cleared my throat and he straightened up, going over to a cabinet, pulling out of it a wine bottle.

        "This one is way better than Joe's." He said proudly and opened the bottle, pouring it in two glasses.

        "Isn't it a bit too early for that?" I mean, it's not even noon yet.

        He handed me a glass. "Drink."

        "Wow, I haven't had a person force me to drink something since college!" I laughed and took the glass. Closing my eyes, I leaned in and inhaled deeply. "Oh, wow..."

         "I'm very sure that this one's better than what the wanker sent you." He muttered as he drank to the last drop. I hesitated with my glass looking down at it. He finished his and he looked to me. "Drink, Cassandra."

          I breathed deeply and set the glass down, "I'm sorry, Chef, we have dinner service later. I need to have a clear head."

          "Oh so you'll have that tosser's wine, but not mine?"

           "C-Chef? No! I do think this wine's great! It's just that I want to give you a great dinner service later, and in order to do that, I need a clear head." He seemed appeased with my explanation and I stood up. "I won't let you down, Chef. I promise."

(Gordon's POV)

           I had warned that bastard to stay away from Cassandra! I gritted my teeth and put the wine bottle back in its place. "I know you'll do good on that promise, you are bloody amazing."

          I watched as her cheeks flushed with the compliment. She looked absolutely delightful. I loved seeing her reactions to me. She may not acknowledge it yet, but she feels it too.

          "Chef?" She broke me out of my thoughts.

          "Yes?"

          "Do you want to go back to the dorms for lunch?" She bit her lip. Gods, this woman is driving me insane. I wanted to do that for her. "It's the least I can do for being late."

           I nodded and went back to my desk. "You can go ahead, I'll sort this out."

          She gave me a small smile as she walked to the door. "Any requests?"

          "Surprise me."

            Cassandra turned one last time and smiled widely. "Challenge accepted!" then she was out just like that. I breathed out through my nose. First things first, I pulled out my phone to call the tosser.

          "Buongiorno!"

           "Bite me, Bastianich."

           "Oh come on, Gordon, it's just one bottle of wine!" The bastard even had the audacity to laugh.

            "I warned you, she's mine."

           "I was just playing! It's not like I needed something to explain to Deanna again."

            I breathed out and sat down in my seat behind the desk. "She's not one to be played with, so back off." I compiled the reservations that are due and left in on top of my desk so Jean-Philippe can get it later. "I have to go, I'm going to have lunch with her. Remember, no more gifts from you!"

             "Fine...fine...Buona fortuna." I'm not sure if the good luck greeting was for the opening of Hell's Kitchen, or for Cassandra. I dropped the call and gathered my jacket, rushing out of the door of my office and out of Hell's Kitchen.

              Her dorms was a quite a walk away from the restaurant. Maybe I could arrange a service car for her. I reached the front door and rang the bell. She opened the door and almost gave me a heart attack.

              Her hair was up in a towel, some rebellious wet strands framing her face and neck. She was wearing a white tank top and women's boxer shorts. "Come in, Chef. I'm sorry I haven't had a shower since yesterday morning."

               I entered the dorm, willing myself to look away from the ravishing sight, a very difficult task. She closed the door behind her and went to the kitchen. "Ready for your surprise?"

             "As I'll ever be." I sat down at one of the stools across the kitchen counter.

             She lifts up a brown paper bag with a very familiar logo. "Really, Cass? McDonalds?" I laughed.

          She laughs as well, pulling out the contents including a Big Mac, a Quarter Pounder, a box of nuggets, and two Cokes. "I'm saving all my cooking magic for later. For now, suffer."

           We ate in companionable chatter. We talked about the competition, the producers' plans, and the contestants. It seems like she had established connection with some of them already. My phone rang a few moments after I finished my burger. I checked the messages and it was from Tony, one of the directors.

           "I'm guessing they need you now." She took a bite off a nugget. "You should go, Chef."

           I was so frustrated! I was planning on spending a few more hours with her, but duty calls. I stood up and offered to clear the wrappers and boxes. She insisted she can do it, but I was almost done anyway. "I'm sorry I have to cut this short, love."

          She blushed again and I couldn't resist. I leaned in and pecked her lips once, watching her reaction. Her blue and brown eyes wide, her lips slightly open as she tried to breathe. I gave her an award-winning smile and left.

(X's POV)

          Fuck. So much for that cold shower.