Episode 4, Part 2: A Drunk Mind Speaks a Sober Heart

After the short limo ride to LAX and an hour flight to Napa County Airport, they reach the coveted restaurant, La Toque, in time for lunch. This time, only the Blue Team and X, along with two producers and the cameramen were present. Chef Ramsay had not joined them on this reward, but that was alright. An afternoon of wine and relaxation is always something to look forward to.

          Upon entering the restaurant, they were greeted by the staff as well as the resident chef, Ken Frank. "Good afternoon, gents." Chef Frank shook hands with the men. "And mademoiselle." He kissed the back of X's hand. "Welcome to La Toque!" He led the winners into the dining area which was the picture of modern sophistication. Warm orange lighting accented the white ceiling which was in beautiful contrast with black, leather topped chairs and tables. A special area was reserved for them which was in front of a beautiful, roaring fireplace. Every aspect of the restaurant screamed sophistication. It was a good thing they were advised to dress up for the trip.

          A few moments after they were seated, the appetizers were served along with a glass of chardonnay. "Looks like we're starting early boys!" Ben laughed and raised his glass. "To the Blue Team!" The men followed suit, raising their glasses and knocking back the wine.

          Kaito had struck up a conversation with X while they ate the appetizers. He was fascinated with the skills she had shown so far in the competition, not to mention manning the kitchen alone during dinner service. "You always finish dinner service few minutes after us! I still cannot believe it!"

          X smiled and set down her fork. "It's really about focus and drive, Kai. You have it in you, too. Just takes a lot of practice and training."

          "Did you have any teacher besides Chef Wolfgang Puck?"

          "Yes, Chef Puck often visited a lot of other chefs, tagging me along. I learned a lot from them and I am very grateful for sharing their knowledge."

          "I hope one day, I get to become a very skilled chef and open my own restaurant."

          "And I will be your first customer, Chef Suzuki Kaito."

           The first entree was served. It was Atlantic Black bass, Beech mushrooms and Mendocino Sea Beans in Bergamot Dashi. The chardonnay was replaced with Sauvignon Blanc which matched greatly with the entree.

            While they were eating, Chef Ken Frank came out of the kitchen to check on his special diners. He shared the achievements of La Toque, especially the Wine Spectator's highest honor, the Grand Award, given to only 91 restaurants in the whole world.

            After the heavenly fish entree, they were presented with Violet mustard and Herb-crusted rack of lamb, paired with Merlot.

            "Now this is what I call fine dining!" Ralph laughed as he took a sip of the Merlot.

           "Save some for later," Damian said. "We still have the vineyards to go to later!"    

           After sharing another toast, they finished the lamb entree. Chef Frank himself served the dessert. "This is one of my latest additions to the menu – Hazelnut Black Truffle Ice Cream Sandwich."

           X squealed with delight like a kid when her dessert plate was placed in front of her, which shocked the men. That was the first time they had seen her giddy about something. She looked up. "What? I love ice cream!"

           "It's just that you look and sound like an 8-year old, X." Calvin chuckled and started his dessert. "Wow..." The sommelier poured them a tall glass of Madeira to pair with the ice cream. "Were gonna be drunk before we even reach the vineyards at this point!"