❝ thirteen.

Summer was coming to its end. Every day of Wooyoung's last two months had been spent in work and staying at the beach except for the one time he was sick for a week. He didn’t get tired of it. He felt like he could do that forever. But now his forever was a very limited time of just two weeks until Yunho wasn’t going to be there anymore. Only until next summer. That seemed too far away, though.

Yunho had told him to not think too much about that and he really almost forgot about it at one point but now that it was nearing it was the only thing he could think about.

Of course, Yunho knew how much Wooyoung worried about it. After all, he talked to himself a lot when he worried or stressing over something.

“Nine months is not that long,” Yunho said as he was trying to assure Wooyoung while caressing his back soothingly. “I will be back in no time.”

“It won’t be the same without you. Nine months would feel like a complete torture, considering I barely survived without you when I was sick.” The dark haired boy sulked.

“You’ve survived for nineteen years without even knowing that I exist, it would be the same.”

Wooyoung frowned, making Yunho realize he shouldn’t have said that. Or at least in the way he said it.

“I’m going home,” Wooyoung said with a sigh, knowing well that he was overreacting about it just so he could see what would Yunho do.

He was just about to get up and go out of the water but Yunho tightened his hold around him, pulling him even closer to himself.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that.” The mermaid left a soft peck against Wooyoung's neck, knowing that it really was that simple to soften him up. “I was just trying to reassure you that everything is going to be alright even if I won’t be here until next summer.”

“Doesn’t feel like it.” Wooyoung rested his head against Yunho's shoulder, slowly drawing shapes over his chest with his finger. “Before you, everything was so boring… I mean, yeah, sure, I have friends and I have fun with them but I can’t spend literally every single day with them without getting tired or wanting to do something else. Meanwhile, I can never get tired of you. With you everything is different.”

Yunho perfectly knew what he could do in that situation. He know that he had a quick solution that would fix everything. But he was unsure. So he didn’t do anything. He was just left to sit and caress Wooyoung's back.

“I know how you feel,” he mumbled out quietly. “There’s no one who can compare to you. No one can give me the same things that you do.” He pulled back and cupped Wooyoung's cheeks, looking him in the eyes. “I’d spend all of my days with you.”

“Would it be illegal if I took you in a big tank and kept you in my bathtub until next summer?” Wooyoung asked with a sparkle in his eyes, saying it mostly as a joke even though if he could, he would definitely do that. Probably.

The mermaid hummed and thought for a second, a small frown appearing on his face as if he didn’t exactly know the answer of that. “Maybe not illegal but… Immoral?” He scrunched his nose up, giving Wooyoung a really awkward look. “Also, wouldn’t I be uncomfortable if I were to live in a bathtub for nine months?”

“Why do you know what a bathtub is?” Wooyoung tilted his head questioningly and also frowned, his cheeks getting squished more from Yunho's hands.

“You know, after all this time with you I’ve concluded that for a human you’re a little dumber than expected,” Yunho teased. “I love you a lot but sometimes you ask me questions that are so obvious that they could be answered even by humans.”

A whine followed immediately after Yunho's response, making the latter giggle. “I’m not that dumb, it was a really logical question!”

“Well…” Yunho shrugged his shoulders. “You either get to know a lot about humans by other mermaids or by hanging around at docks or beaches a lot. We don’t stay isolated by the rest of the world.” He purposefully missed some details which were more or less important, but Wooyoung looked like he understood things quite well, so he decided to spare him the rest.

“So, you know stuff mainly thanks to gossipping?”

“Basically. We might live in the water but that doesn’t mean we can’t do what’s possible to progress with humans throughout the centuries, you see.”

Wooyoung was nodding understandingly, making a mental note to himself to not underestimate the development of the mermaid world.

“Wait,” sudden realization hit him. “What did you say along with the part that I'm dumb?”

“Hm?” Yunho raised his eyebrows up, genuinely confused. “What? Oh, I said that I love you?”

“How do you say it so easily like that?” Wooyoung got flustered and hid his face against Yunho's chest, feeling his cheeks burning hot from embarrassment. “You’ve never said it before and now you decide to say it while also saying that I'm dumb, you’re unbelievable.” He kept on whining, lightly hitting the mermaid's chest which felt more like pats for him.

He looked up again, his eyebrows furrowed and eyes full of determination though his cheeks were so red that he looked like he was going to explode any moment. “I love you, too!” He basically yelled at Yunho, being a little way too determined and excited to say it back.

Yunho was looking at him a little dumbfounded, the last thing he expected was Wooyoung yelling at him that he loves him. But his expression eventually changed to a much softer one, the edges of his lips tugging into a smile. “I love you so much.” He leaned closer and brushed the tip of his nose against Wooyoung's before kissing him tenderly.

“I love you, too,” Wooyoung repeated his own words though this time in a whisper. He closed his eyes, kissing Yunho's lips multiple times, not being able to continue at one point because he was smiling way too widely. “This is exactly what I mean when I tell you that there is nothing on Earth that can compare to what I have with you and the way you make me feel. I’ve told Yeosang I love him so many times, but when I tell you that I love you it’s so much different and special.”

The mermaid gently took one of Wooyoung's hands and placed it against his chest to feel his heartbeat. It felt like his heart was literally going to beat out of his chest any moment. Wooyoung gasped in surprise.

“You know I feel the same way.” Yunho smiled at him and brought his hand closer to his lips, kissing the back of it.

Wooyoung blushed even more, if that was even possible to achieve. He held onto Yunho’s hand and nodded.

“By the way, you should be going out of the water as soon as possible, I’m getting worried about your skin,” Yunho pointed out after he realized Wooyoung had been staying in the water for way too long.

“It’s very unfortunate that you turn into a raisin when you dry out and I turn into a raisin if I stay in water for too long.” Wooyoung sighed and got up, heading out of the water to sit on his towel.

"Let's both become raisins and have a beautiful raisin family," Yunho said with a giggle, staying where he was.

"Ask me to be your boyfriend first and then we will talk about having a raisin family."

"I won't do it now because I want it to be romantic and not awkward and unprepared, okay?"

Wooyoung nodded and giggled quietly. "Sure."