3 | Losing Streak

They were now all seated in the main room. None of them spoke. Klaus was at the bar making a drink. Vanya sat awkwardly on the couch. Luther sat on the opposite couch, his gigantic arms taking up the whole space. Allison sat on one of the chair. Diego on the other, staring at the fireplace. River was leaning on one of the support beams in the house.

In her head, she didn't want to sit down since she had no plan on staying in this place. She kept repeating to herself that she was just there to see if he was gone. Nothing else. Why was she truly at the academy? Life would move on after this, so why was she there?

Her foot tapped the ground. She hated silence. She looked up to see a deer head mounted on the wall. River grumbled crossing her arms in front of her.

Her eyes flickered to Luther who was standing up from his seat, "We should get this started. I figured we could have a sort of memorial service in the courtyard at sundown. Say a few words just at Dad's favorite spot." All of them furrowed their eyebrows while Klaus continued mixing drinks.

"Dad had a favorite spot?" Allison held her drink asking the question. "You know, under the oak tree. We used to sit there all the time. None of you did that?" River scoffed mumbling, "Well, we know who the favorite was." Diego looked at her almost applauding her. She bowed as she looked at the impressed Diego.

"Will there be refreshments? Tea? Scones? Cucumber sandwiches are always a winner," Klaus was now headed to sit on an empty seat next to Vanya. "Ooo, I could really take a scone right now" River mumbled to herself. None of the siblings paid attention to her except for one. Ben. He chuckled at what she said. A piece of her hair fell on her face. Ben tried to tuck it behind her ear but his hand just went through her. He frowned looking down at his hand.

Klaus was paying attention to Ben the whole time. Seeing what he was doing. He felt bad for his brother. Seeing the love of his life but not being able to actually be with her. It must have been really hard for the both of them.

River was glancing at everyone in the room. Looking at how they all grew up. To her surprise she did kind of miss being with them. "Like the way he died," this snapped River out her trance, focusing on Luther. "I don't understand. I thought they said it was a heart attack," Vanya looked up at him.

River smelled the nasty cigarette. She looked at Klaus before waving her hand, making the flames stop as the silver aura around her hand began fading. Klaus then glared at her before taking his lighter out and relighting it.

"I'm just saying at the very least something happened. The last time that I talked to dad he sounded strange," Maybe that was forever ago. Do they even have service on the moon?

"Oh, quelle surprise!" Klaus spoke gurgling his drink. "Strange how," River was now regretting her choice to stay standing. "He sounded on edge. Told me I should be careful who to trust," she rolled her eyes. "Isn't that him all the time," she said before walking over to Diego motioning for him to get up.

Once Diego stood up, River patted his shoulder thanking him as she took his seat. "Luther, he was a paranoid, bitter old man who was starting to lose what was left of his marbles." He had marbles? Thought the old man was just plain out insane.

"No. He must have known something was going to happen," Diego stood in front of Luther. "Look, I know you don't like to do it, but I need you to talk to dad." River snorted causing them to look at her. "I can't just call dad in the afterlife and be like, 'dad, could you just stop playing tennis with hitler for a moment and take a quick call?'" Klaus now stood up straight taking a quick drink. "Since when? That's your thing," everyone now had their eyes on Klaus.

"I'm not in the right... frame of mind" Luther now looked confused. River turned her head to face him. "He means he's high you baboon" River rolled her eyes. "Yeah! Yeah! I mean how are you not, listening to this nonsense?" Klaus chuckled before slumping down on his seat again. "Well, sober up, this is important"

That's going to be hard for a junkie. River paid no attention to their discussion. She looked at Diego debating on whether she should do it. She smirked before raising her hand a little bit. Silver aura surrounded her hand.

One of the knife on Diego's strap slowly levitated

One of the knife on Diego's strap slowly levitated. Vanya looked at the girl. Their eyes connected. Vanya shook her head giving her a disapproving look. River huff dropping her hand, the aura slowly faded while Diego's knife dropped to the ground making a loud thud. Diego glared at her before picking up his knife.

"Where you going with this?" River's face dropped as soon as she realized it. "Isn't it obvious Klaus," Diego began turning to him.

"You think one of us killed dad!"
"He thinks one is of killed dad"

River and Diego said in unison. Luther said nothing, confirming it. They all held a disappointing face. "You do!" Klaus eyebrows furrowed in anger. "How could you think that?" Vanya looked hurt. "Great job Luther. Way to lead" Diego taunted. Everyone was now ganging up on Luther. They did of course have a good reason to.

Everyone began standing up and leaving where the family meeting was held. "I'm not finished!" Luther shouted wanting them to sit back down. "Sorry, I'm just gonna go murder mom. Be right back," Klaus yelled leaving the room.

Luther looked at both River and Allison who still sat in the room. The look on River's face said it all. She was more disappointed than ever. More disappointed than when he had left her. "I don't know what's gotten into you. First you let me down. Now, our siblings? You must really like to be on a losing streak," River scoffed before leaving to go to the only place that made her feel safe.