Risks

When Eddie's eyes fluttered open the following morning, it hurt to move. He was sprawled out on his stomach to let his back air out, as that was where the worst injuries were located. Everything that had occurred the previous night came crashing down on him as his eyes widened in realization.

A sob ripped from his throat before he could stop it, but he quickly slammed his hand over his mouth. When his mother's footsteps didn't echo up the staircase and her voice didn't echo through the room, Eddie glanced around in confusion. He got up, groaning, and pulled on a sweatshirt and a pair of shorts.

When he went downstairs, he sighed gratefully, realizing his mother was nowhere in sight. He walked over to the counter, looking for food, but only saw a note.

Working, won't be back until midnight. Someone got sick and I need the money. Not eating is your punishment for disobeying. Take your pills, DO NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE.
-mommy

Eddie glared at the note and crumpled it up. Now he was going to be hungry all day and had nothing to do. He couldn't sneak into town or his mom would see him, and he had no money anyway. He continued pouting as he took his pills, trying to think of something to do.

There were no new books, and he didn't feel like reading anyway. There were no pens or paper for drawing or writing, and no people to interact with.

He had just finished taking all of his pills when the phone rang in the mansion. Eddie furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. His mother never called him, mainly because he wasn't allowed to speak. Maybe she was relaxing a bit? Eddie could only hope.

He picked up the phone but didn't say anything, not willing to fall into a trap.

"Hello? Anyone there?" came a voice over the phone.

It wasn't his mother, but Eddie recognized it. He had only ever spoken to two people, so it wasn't hard.

"Richie?" he asked hopefully.

"Eds! I didn't know if you'd pick up!" Richie sounded overly excited, and it made Eddie smile and blush.

"I've never gotten a phone call before," Eddie mumbled.

"Seriously? Dang Eds, are you not allowed to talk or something?" Richie asked, oblivious to Eddie's situation.

"You have no idea," Eddie whispered to himself.

"What?"

"Nothing. Uh... why are you calling me?" Eddie asked, knowing that Richie wasn't the type of person to dial someone's number for his health. Eddie had no idea how the excitable boy was sitting and holding a conversation with how active he seemed.

"Well, you're new in town, and you have no other friends. So, I was wondering if you wanted to come spend some time with my friends and I?" he asked, sounding hopeful.

Eddie nodded, even though Richie couldn't see him. He wanted to, of course, but so many things could go wrong. He could run into his mom, she could come home early, Richie's friends could be assholes, he could accidentally reveal his past and the terrible life he lived.

There was so much at stake.

So many risks.

"I don't know, Richie. My mom, she doesn't like me going out, and I'm not supposed to be... I just don't know if it's a good idea," he managed to say.

Richie sighed on the other end of the line, and Eddie nearly cried. He didn't want to upset the only person he had ever met.