Preparations

A few days had passed, and before Eddie and Richie knew it, they had to meet with Autumn, as well as Lacy and Brent to discuss the court case the next morning.

They walked to the building where Lacy and Brent worked, hand in hand, constantly checking around them to make sure the Bowers gang wasn't lurking in an alleyway, waiting for revenge. As they passed the alleyway they had been attacked in, Richie felt Eddie grip his hand tighter and tense up.

"Don't worry, Eds. You probably scared them off. I don't think they were expecting you to kick their asses," Richie said with a laugh, but they picked up their pace anyway.

When they arrived Lacy ushered them into a conference room as soon as possible, knowing they had a long day ahead of them. They all sat in a conference room, the table laid out with paperwork. Only Autumn held a pad of paper to her chest; it was the one she wrote on whenever she talked to Eddie so she had to keep it private.

Lacy started by telling Eddie and Richie how the court case would work. She told them that she and Brent would be sitting with Eddie with a lawyer at one table, whereas his mother would be sitting with her lawyer at another table. Richie and Autumn would sit in the audience, but there was a big chance that they would still be called to the stand, just because they both knew Eddie really well.

Eddie understood most of what Lacy said. He had never been in a court case, but he knew that it was going to be a fight for his safety and securing his mother a place in a prison or jail. It didn't matter to Richie or Eddie where she went, as long as she was kept far away from her son.

"As expected, this is a big case in a small town," Autumn said, drawing the attention of the room to herself. "That means that it's very likely that a lot of people will attend. You'll be speaking in front of a lot of people, Eddie."

Eddie took in a shaky breath but nodded.

Lacy wasn't convinced. "Eddie, we all know you tend to stop talking and refuse to talk when you're overwhelmed, but we need you to look past that tomorrow. If you don't speak, the opposition has the benefit. If you can't defend yourself and make them see the pain your mother has caused you, she could be given custody of you again," she said gently but firmly, knowing that's the last think anyone in the room wanted.

"H-how many people?" Eddie asked in a small voice, not looking at the adults in the room. He was tense, and Richie's presence did very little to comfort him in that moment.

"Between fifty and one hundred," Brent answered, looking at Eddie empathetically.

"What does he need to do to get ready? The Denbroughs have a suit he can borrow and we've been working on his speaking," Autumn said, her calm voice relieving some of the nervous tension in the room.

"You need to talk to him about the questions that he'll be asked. They will try to trick him, you know how these cases work," Brent said, handing Autumn a key. "Take him and Richie to the conference room down the hall and go over some of the questions while Lacy and I wait for the lawyer to show up."

Autumn smiled and stood up, beckoning Richie and Eddie to follow her. Eddie preferred talking with Autumn in her office, since it was a safe place he felt more familiar with. He knew it wasn't really his choice, so he had to adapt.

Eddie and Richie both took a seat across from Autumn, who pulled out her pen and pad of paper. She surveyed the pair for a second before scribbling some things down.

"You'll both be called to the stand tomorrow," she stated, breaking the silence.

Neither of the boys had ever seen Autumn look so grave and serious. It seemed her bubbly personality had vanished with the stressful idea of the case and Eddie's fate.

"I thought it was only potential for me?" Richie asked, feeling more stressed than he had before.

"That's what they said, but both sides get details of the case. You called Brent and Lacy, and you've been the closest person to Eddie in this situation, so it's almost a guarantee they call you up."

Richie opened his mouth to speak again, before thinking better of it and shutting it.

"What kind of questions will they ask me?" Eddie asked, reaching over to hold Richie's hand.

"They'll ask a lot of yes and no questions. If the full story isn't out, then it's easier for your mother to regain custody and for the opposition to win. I can't say much since our conversations are confidential and I'm not allowed to speak out about our conversations."

"Why would she even want custody? She knows Eddie hates her and we won't let it happen," Richie snarled, his grip on Eddie's hand tightening protectively.

"She always moves us when there's what she calls a risk," Eddie said in a voice that was barely above a whisper. "If she gets custody and isn't told to stay away, she'll move us somewhere else and I won't be found or protected by the state. She'll move us far enough that they can't protect me."

Autumn nodded solemnly. "That's why it's so important you think through the questions and try to benefit yourself as much as possible. Do you understand?"

Eddie nodded, his breathing heavy with stress and anxiety. "I understand."

Autumn smiled and told Eddie to go back to Lacy and Brent so she could speak with Richie alone, which surprised both of the teens. Once he left the room, Autumn addressed Richie.

"Are you feeling prepared?" Autumn asked.

"Shouldn't you be talking to Eds about this?" Richie asked, laughing to himself a little.

Autumn shrugged. "I've seen your family history, Richie. I'm glad it's getting better for you, but you're very quick tempered. I don't want you to risk the case by being on the stand and losing it."

Richie scoffed. "I'm not going to lose it. I'm not going to risk Eddie getting stuck with his bitch of a mother."

Autumn nodded. "I'm going to believe you, but if you get upset we may have to have you escorted out. Will your parents be there?"

"My mom's gonna try but she has a marriage counseling thing with my dad."

"Will your friends be going?"

Richie shook his head. "Why does that matter?"

"As much as this case is focused around Eddie, you've been pushing all support and self care away to be there for him. He's told me about you Richie, and that's what I see. I want to make sure you'll have the support there to help you as much as you want to help Eddie," Autumn said, focusing on how Richie seemed to be avoiding eye contact and fidgeting in his seat.

Richie knew she was right. He had avoided getting help or trying to talk to anyone about his family. He knew Eddie would be upset that he was avoiding his own issues, especially because Eddie wanted to be there for him, too.

"Richie? Do you understand what I'm saying?"

"My friends will all be there. So will some of their parents. I'll have support and I'll try to stay calm," Richie said in a low voice.

Autumn smiled at him proudly. "It's all going to work out," she said, standing and leading Richie back to the conference room where Lacy, Brent, and Eddie were.

——————————

For everyone who has read my "Breathe" fanfic, after I finish this one I will be starting a sequel!!!!

Thank you to everyone who's been reading, this book should only be a few more chapters, then the sequel begins ;)