Chapter 15

{A nice song to listen to while you read :)}

Zack's POV

It had been a week before any news from the trackers had been reported in. I was sitting behind my desk in the Alpha Office. New reports had come in regarding recent vampire attacks in neighboring packs.

It shocked me when I pieced each attack on the map. How odd that the vampires attacked in a pattern, a pattern that clearly showed me that my own pack was not far from their next potential target, the Cornerstone Pack.

I needed to make a phone call to the alpha, a very good friend of mine. However, before I could even get a chance to pick up my phone, the door to my office was slammed open, a bloody and weak looking Winston stumbled in. I immediately stood up and walked over to him. I gently took hold of his right arm and helped him into a chair.

"Winston, what on earth happened?!" I asked him, still in shock over his bloody appearance.

It took him a while to regain composure before he finally spoke. "Those filthy blood sucking bastards...they had the place trapped, specifically for werewolves. They captured us, locked us away in disgusting cells. Adam died the first night, sucked completely dry by a vampiress who lusted after him, even in death."

My eyes softened in sadness over the loss of a pack member, yet my nose wrinkled slightly in disgust over the vampiress. "Continue," I finally managed to say.

Winston nodded before continuing. "Logan and I, for a couple of days, pretended to be unconscious. While doing so, we received very valuable and important information."

I nodded in understanding, but I was very cautious over something. Why didn't Logan come in here with Winston.

"Winston," I asked, becoming afraid of the knowing answer, "where is Logan?"

Winston looked down in sorrow. "The fourth night, the night we had planned our escape. Sir...Alpha I apologize. I was the eldest, so I should have known that it wouldn't have worked." he ranted on.

I cleared my throat, gaining his attention. "Winston, please tell me. You will not be held responsible for whatever has happened to him. Being a tracker is a risky job, and it comes with a price."

"Well, after picking the locks to our cells, we proceeded to sneak away by masking our scents. However, we were completely unaware of the guards that were on the other side. We didn't scent or sense them, so they must have had some sort of substance that cleared away their rotten vampire smell. They attacked, but we somehow managed to kill them off and escape, but not without being severely wounded ourselves. Logan was far worse than I was. When he collasped, I stayed with him until he eventually died from blood loss." he said softly, a single tear streaming down his face.

I patted his back gently, knowing how close Logan and Adam were to him. They were like his little nephews. He trained them himself from the time that they were young pups.

"We will hold a ceremony for them tomorrow night. I will inform their mates of what has happened." I spoke softly to Winston, who nodded only once.

"In the meantime, we need to get you to the doctor. We have two now. Generous Doctor Toby has joined recently. I'm sure he can help clean these wounds. We will discuss what you have gathered from them when you are feeling better, alright?" I gently reasoned with the older wolf, knowing that must be taking it hard. I couldn't help but feel a twinge of guilt, knowing that I was the one to send them out there.

I remembered then how my mate reacted to my idea of sending the trackers to the vampire liar. She was afraid of this very thing happening. How would I manage to tell her these events?

I left my thoughts alone as I needed to help Winston downstairs to the infirmary. I helped him up and carefully helped him downstairs into the infirmary. Dr. Toby was there, along with my official pack doctor, Dr. Xella. She had a weird name, but everyone loved her.

Their eyes widened when they saw Winston's condition. I gave both of them a serious look.

"He needs medical attention. Vampire attack." I said bluntly before leaving the room.

I knew that my mate was with Amity in the pack's playroom, but I was very afraid to tell her what happened. I knew that she would start to cry the minutes I told her the news, but she was our Luna. She had the right to now everything.

I sucked up some courage and walked to the other side of the pack house where all of the family related activities occured. Slowly walking down the hallway where the children's playroom was, I could already hear the laughter of Amber and other mothers as they watched their prizes treasures play. A sad frown overtook my face as I knew that her laughter would soon change into sobs.

Shaking out my thoughts, I entered the room. A small smile formed on my lips when I saw Amber cheerfully chatting with the mothers. I glanced over at Amity to see her playing dolls with another little girl. Walking up behind my mate, I gently tapped her shoulders. She turned around, a smile lit up her beautiful face.

"Oh, hello Zack. What brings you here?" she asked me.

"Well, I need to talk to you in private," I glanced up at another mother, "Could you please watch Amity while I talk with Luna Amber?" I asked her.

She nodded, "Oh of course, Alpha."

I nodded my thanks to her and gently took Amber's hand leading her away from the children's room and back into one of the main living rooms. Luckily, no one was there.

"What is it?" she asked again, more serious this time.

"Well, do you remember when I sent our trackers to get information on the vampires for us?" I asked her.

She slowly nodded. "Yes, I do recall that. What of it? Did something happen?!"

Sighing sadly, I slowly nodded. Horror overtook her face.

"I sent out three of our best trackers, and only one came back. He himself is in critical condition, but the doctors are working on him. I'm so sorry, my love. The other two are dead." I whispered sadly to her, holding her hands.

Tears leaked from her eyes. "No...NO! Not again!!" she cried out, sobbing into my chest.

I held her tight, pain running through me. Amber has had nothing but tragic events occur in her life, and they still continued.

I held into her for an hour before she finally calmed down. "What of their mates?" she asked me.

Sighing, I said, "I shall inform them of what happened to them."

A hand rested on my chest. I looked down at Amber, whose eyes held nothing but guilt and pain.

"No, I will."

{~~~}{~~~}{~~~}

Hey guys! I hope you like it!

Question of the day:

What information do you think they overheard the vampires reveal? Best answer gets a shout out.

SHOUT OUTS!!: 18lihoe- answered last question saying that one or none trackers would return, so I dedicate this chapter to you! Go follow her!

Please: follow, vote, comment, share, and spread the story.