the rumors

general pov
max woke up with el hugging
her waist, she smiled to herself and she didn't want to wake her up. max looked
at el's clock and saw that it was almost time to leave for school.
"el we gotta get up." max softly said to the girl laying with her
as she pet her brown hair.
el's eyes fluttered but we're blinded by the sunlight peeking through the blinds.
"what time is it?" el asked max as she rubbed her eyes.
"it's.." max turned to look at the clock again "seven forty five."
"oh, OH! we need to get ready." el told the redhead as she giggled.
"yeah, i know, but you were too busy sleeping." max smiled at her as she put some of el's hair behind her ear.
"shut up!" el giggled again before she got out of bed, "don't look i'm gonna get dressed!"
"okay weirdo." max smiled before she covered her eyes with her hands.
max wished that mike never got el in the first place because he changed her mindset completely. max doesn't know if
el even likes girls.
"okay! you can look now!" el said to max as she showed off her cute lavender sweater and blue jeans.
max pulled her hands away from her face and was in awe. "y-you look great el, really.. great."
"thank you max, mike gave me this sweater!" el said smiling at first but her smile began to fade as she finished the sentence.
"forget mike, who needs boys anyways?" max said trying to brighten up el's mood again.
"yeah you're right, i have you!"
max felt the sensation of butterflies
in her stomach when el said that sentence. she doesn't like you back idiot, max thought to herself. of course she doesn't like max, yet. "i'm gonna go change now!" max said as she went to the bathroom with her clothes and
changed. she felt a warm feeling somewhere other than her stomach but
decided to ignore it.
she walked back into el's room to
see that she was changing. the heat grew more because of what she saw, "i-i'm sorry!" she said as she ran out of el's room.
"don't be sorry it's my fault!" el cried from her room. five minutes had past and el
walked out of her room wearing a baby blue
sweater now. "let's go max!" el nearly screamed as she headed out the door.
they both got onto max's bike and made their
way to the school. once they got
there everyone started staring at the two.
"are you two dykes now?!" a boy yelled.
"wow, mike dumps her for a day and now
she's moved on already." a preppy girl whispered to her friend.
"max, what's a dyke?" el asked her as they walked to their lockers.
"it's... nothing." she responded with a half smile "i promise."
"friends don't lie." el said as she closed her locker.
"it's a bad word used for girls who like girls."
"but i don't like girls!" el nearly yelled.
"i know el..." max sighed.
"what's wrong max? are you okay?" el asked her as her eyebrows scrunched.
"yeah i'm totally okay." max lied. she really liked girls, the thought of kissing a girl, and dating a girl really made her happy, she just didn't know who to tell.
"if you say so, i need to go to class now." el told max as she left the opposite direction.
max sighed and walked to science, which she had with the one and only mike wheeler.
max sat down behind mike, because that was
her seat, and began reading the textbook chapter assigned for that day.
"so, mike wanna tell me anything?" max asked him with a chuckle.
"el probably told you already, did she tell you that one thing?" mike turned around and asked her.
"oh that you're gay?" max whispered.
"shut. up." mike said as his face grew red, "please please please don't tell will or the party." he begged.
"i won't i'm not a total asshole." max reassured him with a smile. "mike i need to tell you something after class." max gulped.
"just tell me right now i have a test next
period." he said to her as he wrote notes.
"i'm gay too." she blurted out a bit too loud and nearly half the class heard her.
"so you're a fucking dyke mayfield?" troy laughed at her along with the rest of the class.
popular boys and girls kept teasing her and
laughing at her until mike had the courage to get up and say, "shut the fuck up piss pants." straight to troy's face.
"what did you just call me frog face?" troy asked him as his hand curled into a fist.
"i said, SHUT THE FUCK UP PISS PANTS!" mike repeated, the whole class 'oohed' at his cold words.
"m-mike stop y-you don't have to do thi-" max tried to stop him from getting beat up.
"yes i do, no one EVER says that about my friend." mike told her without turning around.
"oh you have the nerve to defend this dyke, man are you fucking dumb." troy laughed.
then out of the blue mike threw a punch at troy's face and he fell to the ground. "DON'T FUCKING CALL HER THAT!" mike yelled to the boy on the ground.
"holy shit. mike why did you do that?" max was about to yell at him for being such a dumbass.
"come on, we're leaving." he grabbed her hand and ran out the classroom.
"mike this is so fucking dumb!"
she cried to him.
"no it's not, you could get beat up. i don't want you to get hurt because you're my friend, you understand me max?" mike said a bit to harsh.
max nodded and broke down in tears. she didn't want so many people to know that she was gay because it was terrifying.
mike immediately hugged her, "it's all going to be okay, i promise." he whispered to her.
max was more afraid of what her mom and stepdad would say, what lucas would say, and especially what el would say.