the city

el's pov

"so.." max started as we were walking down the crowded streets of chicago, "where exactly does kali live?"

"well, last time i saw her, in 1984, she lived in the warehouse with axel, dottie, mick, and funshine." i rambled as we made it to a less crowded space, "i don't know if she still lives there but we could check, i did bring my blindfold."

"that's cool, and do you think it's safe for you to do that here?"

i nod in response and we turn a corner. we walk up to an old, abandoned shop and enter it. there's two stories and we stay on the first story. it looks like an old diner, weird. we sit down at a dusty old table and i place the walkie talkie on the tabletop. i turn it to a static filled station and turn up the volume. i then place the blindfold on my shut eyes and focus on the wrinkly old photo of kali that i have kept since last year.

i appear in the dark void, i see something familiar. it's from when the cops were chasing us, why is it reminding me of this? they're driving away in the van and kali uses her powers so that the cops can't see her at all. they're skidding out onto highway that leads to indiana. strange.

the void flickers white then back to black, it looks like summer now, the van is passing a sign that reads 'welcome to new york!'. then i'm
back in the old shop.

"well what did you see babe?" max asks me.

"i think they're in new york."

"holy shit, that's really fucking far.." she says nervously, "what are we gonna do?"

then i hear laughter from upstairs, "did you hear that?" i ask, slowly getting up.

"uh what?" she follows close behind me.

we walk up the old wood steps and see a small group of people our age, "oh my god." max breathes, "i've seen them before, in a dream."

"uh hi." i speak out loud enough for them to hear.

"and who are you?" a girl with black short hair asks me.

"i'm el."

"and i'm max."

"are you two dating?" a boy with short curly hair asks.

"yeah, what about it?" max asks.

"right on!" another girl with dyed long hair smiled.

max grabbed my hand and lead me over to the fire that they were surrounding, sitting down.

"i'm lyla, she's amber, and he's daniel." the girl with short black hair told us.

we both greeted ourselves again, "we are coming from indiana and we might go to new york."

"oh my god!" amber giggled, "we're going to new york too!" she was wearing baggy pants and tie dye with a black jacket over it. her hair was purple, weird.

"we're coming from wisconsin, it sucks there." daniel spoke, "everyone is just an asshole there."

lyla and amber nodded at his statement.