Chapter 4 - Meeting Dobby

Jane's POV

Professor Dumbledore informed me about Dobby coming to pick me up from my apartment at the end of the week and to help with carrying my bags and luggage. Professor Dumbledore said that I was to live with him until this whole thing rolls over. He has also decided for me to take on his surname Dumbledore and pretend to be his granddaughter. People will be suspicious at first, but he told me that his status and reputation as a wizard has always been surpassed as being a mystery. 

After confirming everything he sent me back home to my apartment. Let me rephrase that, I was transported back home by standing under his fireplace holding floo powder in my hand. He explained to me the purpose of floo powder and what I had to do with it etc. 

****************************************Flashback****************************************

"Grasp the floor powder in your hand and hold it out in front of you." Professor Dumbledore said.

I did as I was told, but replied back saying "why can't you just use your wand won't it be faster?" 

"Jane you are not ready for apparition and disapparition which are two other key aspects that you will learn from Dobby." 

I grumbled in response. 

"Okay now state the desired destination loud and clear to ensure that you arrive at your apartment. Don't drop the floo powder until I can ensure you have pronounced the name of your address is heard with clarity, understand?" Professor Dumbledore instructed. 

I nodded and said the address on my apartment loud and clear and looked at Professor Dumbledore for approval in which in response he gave me a smile and a short nod to go ahead. 

As I dropped the floo powder I felt myself being surrounded with green flames and smoke. I was suddenly whooshed through up the chimney and in three seconds or so I felt myself falling down and landed roughly on my rump. 

I got up as I grunted and found myself being covered in dirt and ash. I quickly dusted myself off and looked around to see where I was. I was home.

*********************************End of Flashback*********************************

End of the Week

It was officially Friday and I was packing the last pile of clothes folded on the edge of my bed. I felt nervous, quite anxious but overall excited that I will be going to some magic school in another world. However, my walls were up and knowing fully well this is a whole new learning experience for me, I know that it won't be easy meeting new people and surrounding myself in such a mystical environment. 

As for my friends and family back in Hawkins, Professor Dumbledore said that they'll know that I'm in still in England and if everything goes to plan with taking down the Dark Lord it'll be like I never left to go to Hogwarts at all. He said as time passes here in the Wizarding world, for my sake the muggle world would be left untouched and as it is until I return back. It was like a "Back to the Future" sort of thing which I thought was really cool. 

Suddenly I heard a loud thump downstairs. I instantly ran to see where the source of the noise was coming from and saw a small figure running across from the fireplace to hide behind the couch. I used my mind control powers to move the couch quickly and saw a small and scared looking ... elf? 

"Uhhh... hi ... mi ... miss Jane Ho ... Hopper, I'm Dobby." the little elf stuttered.

"Oh... you're Dobby" I pointed at him. "Sorry I'm not use to having guests or ... elfs" I laughed sheepishly smacking my forehead lightly. 

"Tha ... that's quite f... fi... fine Miss Jane Hopper." 

"Jane is all it takes Dobby, thanks. Sorry to have scared you like that. Here" I moved the couch back using mind control and gestured for him to sit on it. He hesitated, but sat down. 

I sat across from him in my rocker chair and smiled at him. "You seem very timid  to be my magic teacher Dobby." 

"Dobby is very timid of tall people. Dobby finds them intimidating."

I realised that he refers to himself in the third person. As I looked at him he seemed to be wearing only a rag to cover his small body  frame. He appeared to have large green eyes and ears that dangled at the tips. I also realised that he wore no shoes. "Professor Dumbledore said you can protect me. How can you if you're scared?" 

"Dobby serves Master Dumbledore. Dobby protects and Dobby fights when it is essential." he replied more confidently. 

"In that case, how about I call YOU Master Dobby?" I responded back with a huge smile on my face. 

"Oh no Dobby no Master, Dobby is just Dobby, Ms Jane Hopper" he replied instantly. 

"It's just Jane." 

"Oh ss ... sorry, Jane." Dobby apologised.

"Hey if you're going to be my teacher and my little protector be more confident. Don't apologise all the time only when necessary. Okay?" 

"Yes, Jane." 

"Professor Dumbledore sent you here early, I thought he said you'll come at the end of the day. It's only 12:15pm." I said looking confused. 

"Master Dumbledore thought it would be best if Dobby helped Jane pack." he replied back by standing up with his hands clasped behind his back. He looked so adorable. 

"Sweet as. While we're at it I'll find some proper clothes for you to wear how about that?" 

"Jane, Dobby never wears clothes. Dobby is not only a teacher and protector, but a house elf as well. This" as he gestured to his raggedy gown "is my uniform." 

"Well Dobby that has got to change I mean look I can't have my teacher and protector wearing as something as dull as this." I pulled lightly at one of his sleeves. 

Dobby hesitated, but nodded. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

 Dobby was staring at himself in the mirror at his new style. 

Dobby was wearing a dark grey bomber jacket over a white tee that had the words "Like A Boss" printed across the front and light grey pants. We both decided to try and stay within the color range of greys and whites so that he wouldn't stand out as much as he should have. 

I had a wardrobe filled with mainly boy clothing from the previous years growing up in Hawkins where Mike use to loan me his clothes to wear and then later on my dad did the same before he passed away. Although I have developed my own style and fashion; like Max, she and I were considered tomboy's. 

"So what do you think?" I said happily. 

"Dobby likes it. Very interesting." he nodded in response and smiled at himself in the mirror. 

I clapped and giggled saying "I'm so glad you like it. You look bitchin." 

"Bitchin?" Dobby asked.

"It means you look like a boss, cool or incredible." I replied back smiling at him. 

"Dobby is bitchin." Dobby smiled. That's the first time I've ever seen him smile, since he seemed so down when we first met I'm glad that I was able to make him happy. 

"Yes you are." I held out my fist for him to bump. Unlike Professor Dumbledore I wasn't so hard on Dobby when I explained to him about what a fist bump was. The wizarding world is so different from my world. It's something I have to adapt and get used to.

It was nightfall now, Dobby and I just finished packing the rest of my stuff. We each held three bags and stood under the fireplace. I took one last look at my apartment and as soon as Dobby said the name of the location and dropped the floor powder, we were off to the wizarding world.