Prologue

[A'miracle]

The chitter chatter between us all had grew quiet once the s'mores were brought out. I glared around watching as everyone took one. Smiling. The events that took on seemed so unusual.

The smiles of once heartbroken and disturbed faces, warmed my heart. Seamlessly pulling a smile to my face.

I don't belong here. None of us do. We're not bad people .. we're just looked upon that way.

"Why are you so quiet all of a sudden?" I blinked, turning over and glaring at Frank.

"What do you mean?" I asked staring out at the lake.

"I meant what I said dork .. why you so quiet?"

I laughed a little shrugging, eyes still gazed. "No reason. Did you have fun today?"

"Yeah .." He paused. "It was chill."

I nodded not necessarily enjoying the small talk we shared. But it was nice to have him here.. you know still on my side.

"You never told me the whole story." He said playing with my curls.

I swatted his hand away. "Stop twat.. and what whole story?" I asked.

"Why are you here? What's your Flog story?"

I looked at him. My Flog story? Does a thing like the even exist? Does everyone here have one? Or just the obvious?

"Is that even real?" I asked.

"As real as you and me .. I'll tell mine if you tell yours." He whispered against my cheek.

I shuttered, shaking him off. "Sure."

I began to think Flog story, okay .. where to start? "I lived in Virginia half of my life. Country girl I guess .. umm mom was a single parent low income ..." I paused. "I don't know man. I guess when everything at the end of the day was said and done .. I was still angry. I mean he left us. Dying starving, broke. Who were we suppose to depend on?"

I didn't realize I was crying until Frank began wiping the tears from the rim of my eyes. The tears weren't out of pain. But out of hatred.

I wanted revenge. I wanted to kill him. And that's when it started.

"It's okay Mellow don't cry."

I had the urge to swat him away, but I didn't. "Why are you so nice?" I asked.

"Why wouldn't I be?" He asked wrapping his arm around my shoulders, pulling me closer to him.

"Well I mean this is a sleep away camp. We're both 'mental'." I said, wiping my eyes.

"Sure. But I don't claim it all. Sure we may have strange minds and weird ways of thinking, but that doesn't make us mental. It makes us equal. I don't see this as a sleep away .. but as a place for the equals to grow."

I smiled, before playfully shoving him. "Shut up Yoda."

He laughed pulling me into another hug. "Whatever Mellow."

I began to shiver. Watching as the others pack up and head back towards camp grounds. I looked over at Frank whose eyes were glued to the lake.

He looked down at me and smiled. "I guess your sleepy to huh?" He asked.

I shook my head no, snuggling under his grip. "Just a little chilly."

He looked at me once more. Before reaching over and grabbing his black North Face draping it over my shoulders, then pulling me back into a tight hug.

I glared back at the lake as the moon shined against it. Taking in a deep breath. I closed my eyes and whispered;

"Goodnight. Yoda."

"Sleep tight. Mellow."