Chapter One: She Was A Goddess

SEVERUSSNAPE'SP.O.V.

It was only a few months after the murder of my wife before May Beth asked me what happened.

"Daddy, who killed her? I wanna know so I can beat them with their own medicine!" May announces, swinging around a fake wand.

I smile softly. "Well, you won't get anywhere with swinging a wand around like that." I take my daughter's hand, leading her to a room with test dummies, the ones I use for my own practice.

She looked around in amazement -- I had never brought her in here. Mary said it was the worst idea to bring our innocent child into a room of destruction.

Mary...my dear Mary. Golden eyes, bronze skin, slender frame, golden hair...my Mary. The love of my life, the woman who dared to love a man like myself. The woman who bared our dear May Beth, and who was to bear our second child.

I am damned for what I did to my wife. I murdered her -- she was kissing me as I murdered her. I murdered her as she was in love with me, showing me her love. I am damned for life for the deed I had done, and for the rest of my life I will live in shame.

But, for now, I am raising my dear May Beth Snape, my own flesh and blood, the living body of me and Mary's love. I will protect this child with everything I have, even if I am killed.

"Daddy? You're dazing out again."

I shook my head, looking at my young daughter. I sit on the floor, putting the young five-year-old on my lap. I stroke her silky black hair, her golden eyes staring into my dark ones. I kiss her forehead lightly.

"Daddy, what was Mummy like?"

I blink blankly. How was I to describe somebody as perfect as Mary had been?

"She..." I search through my mental dictionary for the words I wished to place on the caption of my late wife, "your mother was young and beautiful. She was amazingly smart--"

"Smarter than you, Daddy?"

I smile weakly, "Yes, weaker than I." I continue on with describing Mary, the words coming out smooth like butter, "she was...a goddess. She was just amazing, and I know for a fact you will be just like she had been."

May blinked in surprised before blushing at my compliment. I kissed her head lightly.

"Now, I must be a good father and teach my daughter to be an amazing witch, shouldn't I?"