Chapter Nine: The Truth From Other's Lips

As Ronald Weasley said, both the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuff were in my next hour of classes. All were fifth years, just as the redhead told me. Maybe I should have believed him.

As I pace around the room, I make sure of students who are male Hufflepuffs. Some of them are looking straight at their books, mixing and doing as they were told. Then I find a small group in the corner.

"Have you seen her yet?" one boy asks, reading the ingredients and mixing them in the order they came in, "she's a wreck."

Another boy, I recognized him as Ernest Macmillan, a Hufflepuff. He was a pureblood. As the first boy said 'wreck', Ernest became red faced like he was angry, "She is still beautiful to me, even in the position she's in." he mixed his potion together before frowning and sighing, "I just wish I knew what happened."

Suddenly I found myself right behind Macmillan, and, being unaware, whispered coldly in his ear, "Macmillan, are you dating my daughter?"

Surprised, Macmillan nearly spilled all of his potion into my chest. He stared at me, "Sir, you have a daughter?"

"Are you dating May Beth Snape?"

Macmillan gulped and stared at me, then to his comrades and the rest of his class. His throat was dry, as I could tell, as if his throat decided to stop working right at that moment. He didn't want to look at me -- he didn't look at anyone of anything, his eyes glazed over.

"I am dating May Beth," he said shakily, and I finally realized why my daughter was so distant.